How many lightning arresters does it take to......

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KI7HSB, Feb 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the planning stage of my first HF station build... Right now, I'm going over all the ground questions.

Of course, there will be arresting couplers on every wire going through the entry panel, but I have also seen a ground bar and more arresting couplers at the base of some towers.

Are BOTH necessary? Or just in cases where the panel and tower are far apart? Mine will only be about 12 feet apart.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is what I use. So far so good, Discharges before entry into the shack.

I have taken a few direct strikes with only antenna damage. Depending on the antenna, Some get vaporized. But zero radio damage.

Don't cheap out.

Good Luck.

AK5B and KI7HSB like this.
  3. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You might want to research some of the articles and posts written by K9STH.

KI7HSB likes this.
  4. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

The coax shields should be bonded to the tower base. They likely are already bonded to the tower top through the antennas.

In the event of a direct strike to the tower, there is a large potential gradient between the tower top and the tower base. You do not want to conduct that extra potential gradient all the way from the tower top toward your house/shack/equipment.

Bonding the coax shields at the tower base means that the potential gradient along your coax is reduced to whatever exists between the entry panel grounds and the tower ground instead of being the whole enchilada between the tower top and entry panel ground.

K0UO likes this.
  5. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Rege

K0UO likes this.
  6. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Rege's video is why you need lightning protection invented by Ben Franklin. That wooden pole did not have a ground wire running down it. It exploded because the current pulse turned the moisture inside the wood to steam which blew the wood apart.

Same will happen to a tree, a barn, a house, a church, that does not have a lightning rod/grounding wire which diverts the current around the outside of the wood/structure.

Thousands of wooden power poles take a strike weekly without exploding because they have a #6awg Cu wire stapled to them from top to dirt.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    N0TZU and AC0GT like this.
  7. KI7HSB

I bet that was loud!... I will never scrimp on the subject of electrical safety.

K0UO likes this.
  8. KI7HSB

Thanks for the lead... I'll look up his posts.

9. KI7HSB

Oh, don't worry.. I'm deeply invested in the idea of protecting myself and my equipment from lighting strikes. I've done a lot of research on what needs to be done and have a good system designed overall, but as I approach construction phase of my first HF station, it's little details that I'm having a tough time finding authoritative answers for.

10. KI7HSB

DAAAYUUM!!!! That was just too close!

KC1MOV likes this.