How many keys are too many?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N6RGR, Sep 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

One plus a spare, in case I get locked out.
    Note to self: Keep the spare OUTSIDE. :p

N2EY likes this.
  2. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

How many is too many? Just one more ...

3. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Once I built my own straight keys I stopped collecting others. Nothing like using a key that you built yourself. Once I bought a high quality single lever paddle (Begali HST) I stopped buying and trying paddles. You can build your own straight key with simple hand tools from these instructions. https://sites.google.com/site/wb9lpu/ECI-KEY9.pdf?attredirects=0

4. N6RGR

N6RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HEE:

Downloaded the PDF on building the straight key. I may give it a try, but have to find someone who sells aluminum bar stock and brass in the Sacramento area. I have been looking at keys on Epay, some are outrageously priced, others might be a good deal. I am thinking about an iambic key, perhaps a Vibroplex Code Warrior. Anyone use one of these? Comments or suggestions?

Roger N6RGR

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

How Many Keys ?

Straight key, Paddles and a Bug. anything more is Hoarding !! a sickness :eek:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Keys for Radiotelegraphy

To the 2nd Question; when I first got on the air, in 1961, I had a new, out of the box J38. A few times I accidently stuck my transmitter on the air with the shorting bar. Had my single transmitter tube plate red hot before I figured out what was wrong. That convinced me to remove the shorting bar and store it away.
    I still have the J38 on the desk and connected to my latest radio but the shorting bar is long gone .
    For tuning up you can just hold the knob down with one hand and tune the rig up with the other hand. It should not take more than a few seconds of air time if you know what you're doing.
    To those who say "put a brick on the key" that is just for intentional jamming and don't even think of doing that.

To the last Question; I would get an Iambic paddle, they are very common today, you can use it with the keyer set for non-Iambic and learn that squeeze method at your leisure , later.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The last time I bought a new key, for some reason, this old song came to mind...
    Melanie (Safka): Brand New Key:

KB2SMS and K6GB like this.
  8. AA4N

AA4N Ham Member QRZ Page

Two more keys than the guy with the second largest collection.

He who has the most keys when he dies wins.

Cheers. Mike

9. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

No such a thing.
    Like having too much fun.
    No such a thing

10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is actually a mathematical answer to this question.

Let "n" represent the number of keys one already owns. Let "x" represent the number of keys that are enough.

We can then express now many keys are enough with the formula:

x = n +1

You're welcome.

K6GB likes this.