How many ham systems use compression?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4Z, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Right behind you. The moment we start throwing out decades old methods of data compression that is publicly documented ad nauseam, used in prior amateur modes without so much as a whisper of complaint (AX.25, TCP/IP ) all because a subset of people feel it needs to be "open" and easily decodable for free, the hobby is relegated to the 1970's.

At no point has any mode ever been decodable for "free". If people want to be required to use only digital modes that are truly open source or licensed to them by colleges and researchers, just keep up this destructive game.

KX4Z likes this.
  2. WB6CXC

WB6CXC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you've been paying attention, there's nothing ulterior about it. KX4Z has been quite open about his position on the K0IDT /related issues. As have I. Regardless of your own position, do you have a problem with anyone collecting and understanding the facts?

3. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, just wow. It would be hard to get so many things so completely backwards.
    1. I happen to be one of the people bringing openness and accountablility. You can thank me whenever you wish. Tell how many objectionable emails you have flagged for being dealt with?
    2. I missed your critique of Roubelat --- can you tell me where you published it?
    3. Ive actually already developed something that captures and decodes WINLINK. Check out the FCC site and you'll discover it.
    4. Certain persons, who show up in my footnotes, will probably acquire a very different reputation at the FCC.....for having been shown to have made provably false claims over and over, without any retraction
    5. Boy, do I *wish* I had some handler......unfortunately I'm having to hand off code to others who need a bit of a jump start. But hey, their numbers are growing!!!! That is a great thing. Thankfully, they are much better programmers than I, and hopefully will make much more progress than I. Nevertheless, one of the most astonishing things in all of life for me, is that certain persons here apparently (I wasn't paying attention) , railed against WINLINK for 19 years...and in 5 days i wrote code to read it. They had 19 years....and didn't get it done. Astonishing. Any time they can explain that.....5 days versus 19 years,......I'm all ears!!!

Keep writing, my friend, I need more examples for my footnotes!!!

Knowledge is a wonderful thing. We had about 15 people here for the entire afternoon, building baluns, testing antennas, learning about SWR and antenna tuners, and bandwidths, and impedances....and then a group worked on JS8 for over an hour over the dinner table. Fantastic learning and comraderie, stories being swapped, loads and loads. One person drove 3 hours each way to partake of the chance to learn this stuff.

4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John!
    Or perhaps learning about FBB?
    Or maybe about FLMSG?
    Or maybe about PAT?
    Or maybe about FLWRAP?
    or maybe dusting off D-RATS?

Which one are you crusading against today?

5. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

It has never been about Winlink, never, or Pactor. If ARSFI is frantically trying to cover their past bad behavior, by cleaning up their act today, it's a win for amateur radio. And an open admission that things that we have been told weren't
    happening on their questionable operation were in fact occurring. Two million dollar real estate deals anyone? On line gambling? Running an insurance business? Yacht brokers quoting sales prices? The emails are out there, or were, before ARSFI got caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

ARSFI brought this whole thing down on their collective heads by arrogantly assuming RM-11831 was all about them, it wasn't, but their actions may cause their ultimate demise on HF.

KA4DPO and KA0HCP like this.
  6. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did I say free? Nope. Just compliant with regulations. Of course, if you and Kutchins' Kadre don't want to do that, two options: Change the regulation(s) or continue taking your chances until the FCC wakes up. I apologized to Peter for my earlier misunderstandings, blaming PacTors for the convolution. If Huffman was applied to other HF "techniques," well, 'nough said....... Of course, since packet is primarily a VHF/UHF undertaking for the most part, no big deal. And, Winlink can play there too, with a translation table of text values.

7. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

.........the dreaded footnote

8. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

You must have quite a tool to pat yourself on the back with. Accountability? Wrong choice of words, I think. However, Ron and RM-11831 have brought about serious accountability and admission by default by the Kutchins Kadre (KK) that things weren't as they proclaimed for year and years. You've brought along some "purple haze," to fog up our glasses. Hasn't worked thus far, though. As for your development, you have claimed to have decompressed some text, but unlike KX4O, you didn't post it for us and you didn't try it that we know of on a distant RMS with low SNR and multiple ARQs. Perhaps you can send it up to Ria, N2RJ, and see if she can use it with Newington's Dragon modem on a real life HF set of propagation conditions, not a down the hallway exchange.

Happy for you that you have the means to have invested in at least 3 SCS modems. Or, did SHARES help out with that accumulation?

9. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

It is so difficult to know how to answer so many false claims.
    Anyone who has read the filings knows -- and has possibly even read -- some of the texts read. They may have even read all the code, the screen dumps from the actual readings, the intermediate outputs and the final readable English text. It's even on a web server for anyone to read! Disclosed on the FCC web site for anyone who knows how to read it.

I think the first set of significant bugs in the code are now quashed, and we move now to investigating capturing on a wider scale. So so many false claims have been utterly demolished, with provable facts -- even one experiment any doubter can perform on their own computer!! hard to argue that!

People who are really sincerely wanting to read winlink are now being loaned modems and getting raspberry pi's to they can follow along!!! You might be surprised if you knew who some of those people actually are!!! Don't be so far behind! Get your own raspberry pi, and get with the program. The code is free, you can download it for free. Things are moving on

The gentlemen who WANTED this, should be profuse with their praise and appreciation for the work that they did not accomplish in 19 years, now literally taking place in front of their eyes, and on the pages of the FCC web site, day by day, in full view.

FOR PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY CARE:
    I can now read anything that Huggins could read -- the difference being that I used the straightforward ASCII output of the Dragon (HEX 1 ) whereas Huggins preferred the more-digitally-looking binary output HEX2 version. Any file that Huggins could decode, I can now decode if provided in HEX 1 format. (I don't have time to waste recoding for HEX2....but anyone could do that if they wish). Files are now being sent to me, and decoded and published for reading. Not many, and not to the degree of rigourousness that I want, as this is still early. It took FIVE DAYS to write the original set of code to do what these folks complained about for NINETEEN YEARS.

Amazing.

And now that several bugs have been solved.....even more progress is in the offing.

INTERESTED PERSONS WITH ACTUAL TALENTS AND SINCERE INTEREST ARE WELCOME TO CONTACT ME. IF I BELIEVE YOU COULD BE A VALUABLE ADDITION TO THE GROWING TEAM WORKING ON THIS, I WILL FORWARD YOUR INFORMATION TO OTHERS TO TRY AND GET YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO JOIN IN. WE WILL NEED A FAIR BIT OF HELP, BECAUSE EACH TEST, EACH EXPERIMENT GIVES US MORE TO LEARN FROM, TO IMPROVE THIS GROWING COLLABORATIVE WORK.

Ham radio is not a spectator sport. Ham radio is a collaborative, cooperative hobby where we all contribute and grow the technology, and systems, TOGETHER. Join in -- being part of the team making a DIFFERENCE is fun!

You should have seen how much fun everyone had at my house for five hours today, building, chatting, measuring, explaining, learning!!! That is the beauty of ham radio.

Cheers,

Gordon KX4Z

10. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope.
    The old fashioned way: work hard earned money, look for good deals.

Do you see any problem with that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.