How many ham systems use compression?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4Z, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WB6CXC

WB6CXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I for one am very happy that JS8 doesn't use the pseudo-ARQ. In this way it's more like WSPR than FT8. Is this a reason for there being way more FT8 activity than JS8? That might be one of them, but I think there are other more obvious ones.

2. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Well we tested it for our emergency backup communications purposes while we had everyone's attenteion over the weekend --- and it demonstrated the ability to provide us with volunteers 24 hours a day who would facilitate communications throughout the state of florida on HF. The older leadership does not yet grasp how difficult and important this can be on SSB but they got a chance to see it in a recent all day test that went BADLY at points. Some of the leadership simply does not operatre on HF and they need to get there fast and develop the needed expertise...

JS8 is a fascinating tool in my toolbox.
    Gordon

3. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

We asked for HELP from the JS8 crowd and we had, at our request, people in Arizona, Ohio, Georgia, Tennessee, New hampshire and I think New Jersey who temporariliy became part of our test group, "@ALACHUA" -- we had coverage on 80 meters (local station), 40 meters (MULTIPLE stations -- available all the time) and even limited coverage on 30 meters. There was not a minute when we didnt have a way to make simple bulletins or formal traffic actually work in 24 hours. We actually cached an ARRL Radiogram and had it retrieved --- using a 3rd paryty station.

So it was a very low signal, very slow version of "WINLINK" --- suitable for use from very compromised antennas.

The experiment will appear in our After Action writeup.

Gordon

4. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Low volume users of the AMBE codecs must purchase the implementation in hardware. So, the codecs used in ham radio systems will never change.

If you buy millions of licenses you can implement it in software, and hence also make it upgradeable, but no ham radios are high enough volume for that.

KX4Z likes this.
  5. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Even if bitten by a Californian zombie?

K0UO likes this.
  6. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom and Kenwood also manufacture Commercial radios that use the DVSI IP (AMBE), so they most certainly can use the software version of th vocoder.

7. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Go for it Gordon! You are missing a couple of key pieces here in whatever it is you are trying to prove. Nope, not gonna tell you either. (Actually you've had the answer since the old RM-11831 thread and you ignored it.) That would lead to multiple pages of why you are right, so lets' just say you're right about whatever it is, and leave it at that.

8. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

STEVE, YOUR AN OLE RASCAL.........

I DO RECALL HAVING AN EXTERNAL COMPRESSION UNIT FOR MY
    DRAKE TR4. BACK IN THOSE DAYS THEY ALSO USED WHAT WAS
    CALLED A DELAY LINE...... OH MY GOD,, DID THOSE FOLKS WITH
    THE DELAY LINES WAKE UP THE BANDS......HIHIHI...

SPLATTER......... WHAT SPLATTER.... I DIDN'T HEAR A THING.

THREE CHEERS FOR THE D104 WITH THE SPECIAL ELEMENT AND THE COMPRSSION UNITS.

N9HI Have a Nice Day.gif
    AND

A FUN FILLED WEEKEND

73 - K1LKP

9. WB6CXC

WB6CXC Ham Member QRZ Page

You might want to try being helpful once in a while. Who knows, you might actually enjoy it.

10. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Almost every time I try to help Gordon he defers to his preconceived opinions. I pointed him to what he's fishing for with this latest hunt, he ignored it the first time, now won't be any different.
    Okay, how's this, all, and I mean all, the modes that have been put forward so far can be decoded over the air. Helpful? Wait and see what develops, the answer is is in the old 11831 thread and it's not hard to find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.