How many ham systems use compression?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4Z, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

Point of information: The FCC was never unhappy with the current state of affairs.
    Over 2300 bits/second in a "very narrow" bandwidth? Narrow with respect to what exactly?

Oh wait, with awesome compression? Just kidding.

At this point it seems you and others are merely keeping Gordon talking aren't you.

2. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

They no longer have an argument. When I realized that it was time for THEM to answer a few questions....they suddenly found something else that needed their attention elsewhere. Meanwhile --- the cast working on real progress contnues to grow, and make ever more accomplishments. It is really small, but impressive already. More work has been accomplished in 6 weeks (and in your brilliant proof!!!!) thn was done in 19 years of moaning. Every chance I get now, I read more and more emails off the air. But what I am doing pales in comparison to what i think is about to happen. none of this would have happend without YOUR work....that was what convinced it it had to be done, even if it meant I had to learn how to program from scratch again.

And I put together a 33page book ready to print about Hurricane Dorian in the last two days as well. It will get discussed at our meeting tonight and published tomorrow.

then I start work on Chapter THREE of "Spying on WINLINK".

I'm always amazed that what i write gets snapped up, month after month. Provides a fair bit of education for people all over the nation, and occasionally even in Europe. I've found my stuff "plagiarized" all over the world, which at least means people were LEARNING from it.

Cheers,
    Gordon

3. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gordon doesn't need any help in that regard! :D

KA4DPO and K0IDT like this.
  4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

And of course you are correct --- I still haven't even formally written up the exciting developments of YESTERDAY, which have to be written up for formal documentation. But all the capturefiles and emails decoded are on our web server already. Directory is 0910. I don't have the chance to pull off the monitoring every day, but when I do, it is getting more and more automated. All of this could have been done 19 years ago.

5. NL7W

Really?

In short bullets (think a presentation), present why the "other side" doesn't have several arguments.
    Keep it to two or three PowerPoint-like pages.
    Chose words carefully and be succinct.
    Thanks.

6. NL7W

They will say it's "sanitized" with bots now, I bet. :rolleyes:
    Beyond Sail Mail, Winlink should have been wholly removed from Amateur spectrum. It should occupy "Fixed" or a similar service long ago.
    But what the heck do we know? You and I have only been hams and in the comm business in both the governmental and commercial sectors... like forever.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  7. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a lot to do tonight, chairing a meeting, so let's let YOU go first. In short bullets, (think a presentation) present first all the points of the RM-11831 proponents, and then also present any that you think have been effectively refuted. If you are able, provide a URL for the document that supports your assertions of the RM-11831 proponents. Choose words carefully and be succinct. Cheers!

8. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Then you should have LOTS of well-referenced facts.......

Go for it! Be sure you have proof for any assertions, if at all possible.

9. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

This part is a joke, right?

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

The bots aren't working and neither are the "vigilant gateway operators". Flagged one last night from someone that thought it was good idea to forward his gmail account to his Winlink account. Short version, over the course of a week, a week!!, there are multiple emails from Amazon, ebay and some other items of interest. The gateway operator must check his traffic on a semi-annual basis, or not at all (the particular gateway is not especially busy either), and the Winlink bots evidently need some serious programming assistance 'cuz they ain't catching the stuff 6 months later.

NL7W likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.