How many ham systems use compression?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4Z, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, maybe you have heard of these per chance. Ever heard of clover? Or how about G toR? Did you have some issue with those?

2. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

That's because, with the exception of some experiments with D-STAR on HF in the Phone bands, there isn't any operation of these modes below 2 meters. I've read discussion about trying Fusion on 10 meters, but I'm not aware of any actual use of it there.

3. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

You're getting off track. I was simply trying to ask a clarifying question of @KA4DPO but that question was summarily deflected and remains unanswered.

4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

it's a free country --- ask whatever you want! But these fellas disappear quick when they have to defend their answers to real questions that they don't really understand, it seems.

Anyway.... I solved several more major problems today and decoded three more emails from 900 miles away in the heat of the day, so it was a good day. Soon I am going to need an army of volunteers to do an even wider testing of this thing....

Gordon

5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think that it takes a very special something, to say right out in public, that a modem DOES NOT READ PACTOR 4....when the gentleman who

-- designed it
    -- manufactured it
    -- approved the instruction manual for it

has just told you in plain English, that it DOES.

Yes, that is quite something unique. I have never seen something like that done before. Never.

It is like telling John Garand that his rifle will not shoot. Amazing. How people allow that to go on, in this forum, is quite amazing.

6. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm having the same trouble trying to get someone to understand that Winlink servers do in fact have active busy channel detection on them. He's convinced they don't and the evidence is in the fact there are occasions where a Winlink server will accidentally contribute to the QRM of an ongoing QSO.

7. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Please don't put words in my mouth. I was not asking him to defend anything. I was just trying to understand what they were getting at.

8. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Sir, I'm not trng to put ANY words in your mouth, sir.
    I may have replied to the wrong person, it appears, but that was an unintentional innocent error if so. I'd appreciate a bit of grace, sir
    please continue forward with whatever you were triying to do and leave me out of it.

i have my own questions to ask, Sir!!

9. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

There are also people who believe the earth is flat.
    I meet some of these kinds of people in my day job as an anesthesiologist.
    Cheers,

Gordon

10. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a couple more email that I read.....from 900 miles away...... today.....

MID: KATRLV3KNRBU
    Date: 2019/09/10 19:32
    To: KX4Z
    Subject: Test 4
    Mbo: SMTP
    Body: 224

This is a test to see if my idea of having the station check every few minutes for (E-mail) will give me some traffic to test by. The first hour was a complete bust, there just wasn’t any traffic.

Sent from my iPhone

----------------------------
    MID: 01WXNGMTWL8W
    Date: 2019/09/10 19:39
    To: KX4Z
    Subject: Test 5
    Mbo: SMTP
    Body: 1255

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Tom Whiteside" <tomw@ecpi.com>
    > Date: September 10, 2019 at 15:30:11 EDT
    > To: "'Gordon Gibby'" <docvacuumtubes@gmail.com>
    > Subject: RE: Testing.
    >
    > Okay - it has been up and down a bit installing some new Trimode test versions for Phil and doing a Windows update but it should be up the rest of the afternoon. Good hunting!
    >
    > Tom
    >
    > -----Original Message-----
    > From: Gordon Gibby <docvacuumtubes@gmail.com>
    > Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 2:01 PM
    > To: tomw@ecpi.com; lee@iqed.net; lor@w3qa.net; Steve Waterman <k4cjx@comcast.net>
    > Subject: Testing.
    >
    > Tom, I got nowhere in my first hour of hot & sweaty testing today, although your signal remained incredibly strong on 20 m. For some reason my radio only didn’t do what I thought it would. I discovered I had so much ignition noise I had to shut the truck down to make things work.
    >
    >
    >
    > For about the next two hours, I am trying to get my station to log into yours every few minutes, to pull email. After that I will disable the excessive polling
    >
    > If you need to reach me for any reason, I’m on my cell phone, 352 Dash XXX-XXXX
    >
    > Gordon
    >
    >
    > Sent from my iPhone=
    >

-------------------------------------------------------
    (I deleted the cell phone, obviouslly)

These are starting to stack up now!!!! The hardest task of today was figuring out a way to force emails through PACTOR with just me, and no helpers at either end. I found a way, and that makes continuing experimentation much easier now. You don't always get the entire message of ccourse. (That's the advatnage of being the person USING ARQ, right?) As we've explained, oh, maybe a hundred times or so and some people still don't get it.....if you lose a packet (that happened due to severe QSB on the 3rd email partway into George Washington's Farewall Address) --- it turns in to mush after that. No one has yet done any research into whether you can recover.....that i know of anyway. Such is life! if you tossed in a TON more forward error correction.....maybe you could get through it but I think I issed two packets on that 3rd email at one point. ... signal just ddisappeared for an instant. A better solution that doesn't waste bandwidth is what i've proposed: diversity receivers, networked. IF enough bright people decide to get off their fanny's, you can have it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.