How many ham systems use compression?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4Z, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just in fairness... what is an acceptable barrier to entry for decoding a digital signal? There are several closed standards that require the purchase of equipment in order to decode. They may not be encrypted, but they are obscure enough that someone must spend money to decode them. Winlink/Pactor is one of them, but D-Star/Fusion/DMR is another. The latter seems to be perfectly fine even though one must purchase a specialized radio/modem in order to decode them.

I'm not sticking up for Pactor, or for the other proprietary digital modes. I'm just trying to understand what the difference is from that perspective.

2. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Available software decoders for those that don't want to invest in the expensive hardware. Of course, it seems to be forgotten that the code written to decode those came about because the person that wrote it didn't want to buy a commercial product that only supported one digital voice mode when a number of them were in use and that of the modes you mentioned, only DMR was originally supported by DSD.

3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Better still, why don't you transmit some PACTOR IV to me. Just direct me to the site where I can download the software and use my radio and sound card to decode it real time.

K

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Never heard any of those modes on HF.

5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

You do understand you will need a pactor modem, right? I’ll get you the site for the software after I see your reply below....

Can we get back to some very simple things?

This is a very short question :

Who put data compression in the B1 protocol?

Would you mind answering that?

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

My good friend, good things are happening behind the scenes

7. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure why that matters?

8. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Another hour of experiments concluded, a bunch more learned.

So if a bunch of people demanded XYZ, and then somebody started producing XYZ, it stands to reason that they would be overjoyed, right?

Is there something we can learn from this? Do you think others are learning also?

9. DL6MAA

DL6MAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you also download your radio and your soundcard, for free?
    I stop discussing at this point. It is a waste of time.

10. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

While we are awaiting the answer to my simple question, I looked up what it means to negotiate in good faith:

https://www.pon.harvard.edu/daily/business-negotiations/negotiate-good-faith/

There’s a lot of information there, but I think part of it is you have to be honest and mean what you say when you state what you request

So it would be interesting to see how this applies to what has been going on.

Ron started out with a request for a open source & free way to do expensive hardware/software techniques. Essentially, that involved a demand to give away intellectual property. It appeared that this position was later modified, to just having someway to read the material. That has been a bit mercurial

However, other people jumped into the fray and made a bunch of demands to have someway to read WINLINK. But is that what they really wantEd? A judgment of whether or not those requests were in good faith might be in order now

Additional concerns were made about supposed illegal operations. The objective measure of those has been reduced at least two orders of magnitude to almost 0 now. So a good faith judgment can now be made as to whether or not their request was reached

And additional concern was raised about interference. And objective study was then carried out that demonstrated the interference was basically near zero. So a good faith judgment can now be made as to whether or not their objective was achieved .

Now I’m not a lawyer, so I can screw these things up royally, but if that was too much riding, someone now do a better job at it and tell me has this been handled in good faith By the parties involved ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.