How many ham systems use compression?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4Z, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Peter: suppose I am a single monitoring location. Suppose I miss a packet, but so did the intended recipient, who then asks for a repeat. Suppose further that the monitor is able to capture the repeat packet that is sent.

That solves my problem for the missing packet doesn’t it?

2. DL6MAA

DL6MAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, if you miss the first packet, the request packet (second packet) will be displayed by MPON automatically...
    You cannot do much more on that if you are a single listener, not connected to a diversity network.

73 de Peter

3. DL6MAA

DL6MAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, on French PMC probably will yield worse compression factors than simple Huffman, and thus the packets will be encoded using
    simple Huffman which is less sensitive to different languages. I have not tested it yet but I assume that the compression factor for
    French will go down from 1.9 (Englisch, German) to 1.5 or less...

73 de Peter

KX4Z likes this.
  4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Peter, am I missing something or are you? The ability to recover from the missing packet and REPLACE IT with the information gained in the request Packet seems HUGE to a single monitoring station— probably dramatically improves the amount of text they can recover

5. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Look, Gordon, your style is not to answer concisely, but to blather all over the place. Peter has been kind to answer my questions, so no further need to continue here. Your problem is that your emotions overload whatever technical prowess you have. From this point forward, you're on ignore...... officially via the website's filters.

K0IDT and KA4DPO like this.
  6. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for info on the Forum Filter.. I have a slew of Callsigns to add here.. 73 Jerry N9LYA

7. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever -- that simply means you avoided answering a ton of tough questions ---
    1. Do you understand that the text compression built into SCS is only for two languages?? (there are other alternatives, of course, but we're asking VERY simple questions here....only a few dozen characters. Those were not answers, my friend, those were QUESTIONS and you didn't answer them!
    2. Do you understand that it was NOT winlink who made these original decisions on compression --- it was Jean Paul Robelat, some time before 1999 -- and the winlink people adopted his standard...as did the DRATS and a host of other people?
    3. Have you been fair, and can you demonstrate equivalent level of complaint against those other groups, such as DRATS? This is a question -- you may certainly have done so, here is your chance to demonstrate it!
    4. Do you understand the implications that the german govenment completely accepts as "open speech" both the pactor AND the Winlink??
    5. Did you ever look at the example and do you now agree that anyting BEFORE a packet failure will in fact be totally readable??

Those are just for starters --- I don't want to overwhelm you. But honest good faith discussions require that we carefully consider the counterparty's ideas and be willing to state which ones we agree with, and which ones we don't. Building consensus requires that people actually come to terms with the ideas with which they AGREE.

Actions are loud: guess who is creating the ability to READ WINLINK OVER THE AIR? So you see there are some peple who cconsider their counterparty's ideas, and take action on the ones they agree with.

But again -- perhaps if you aren't willing to answer questions, others will take up for you, my friend.

Gordon Gibby KX4Z

8. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Gordon, I honestly don't think he cares about any of that. All he seems to care about is getting rid of the compression so people here in the US can read the messages over the air and possibly, if the timing is right, find something that shouldn't be there.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with your assessment. After reading KX4z's onslaught of posts I am reminded of Shakespears Queen Gertrude. He is undermining his own credibility, and the credibility of his cause by his inability to provide a straight answer. As it stands, I remain completely unconvinced that any US amateur with an HF radio and a computer/laptop, can decode (decode meaning copy in real time) WINLINK traffic sent over HF via an SCS modem in PACTOR IV format. I will believe it when I see it.

I hope that FCC can see through the fog to the core of the issue which is, primarily dollar driven. The ARRL and ARSFI are seeking to legitimize something that they know is not IAW Part 97 rules, by lobbying the FCC to change the rules and make it OK. I only hope that the FCC staff will remember that there is no place for pecuniary interests in Amateur radio.

K0IDT likes this.
  10. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

If you will just transmit me some pactor iv, I will be delighted to decode it for you exclamation! Is that a short enough answer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.