How many ham systems use compression?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4Z, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The only thing I can add to this is that some blame has to be assigned to the technology that was in use. None of the stuff you mentioned would have been passed over amateur radio if it was not for the fact that you needed the secret decoder ring to see it. The contents of all of those messages were obscured to all but the sender, the receiver, and the Node controller, if they were even looking, which, as you pointed out, they were not.

2. WB6CXC

WB6CXC Ham Member QRZ Page

The other day I heard some five-character code groups being sent on 40-meter CW. That sort of deliberately obscured, perhaps even encrypted content wouldn't have been possible without this so-called "continuous wave" technology.

3. KA4DPO

Get real.

4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

So totally, completely, absurdly, utterly WRONG. Learned nothing from Jean-Paul Roubelat F6FBB. But, I suspect there are others elsewhere, who actually know both the HISTORY and the FACTS. Repeated items that have already been completely debunked in formal disclosures to the FCC.....probably doesn't do much for one's standing in their eyes. A world-authority congratulated me on reminding people of the actual history of some of this stuff....which still seems to pass right over many heads, though it has been used now by tens or hundreds of thousands of hams, and in at least 8 different developments stretching over 3 decades.

Such is life.

5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

If IGNORANCE and LAZINESS are what pass for "obscuration" these days in the minds of some, then here are some other items that are effectively obscured:

-- how to grow beans
    -- how to hunt deer
    -- the wonders of long distance projectile ballistics
    -- reloading metallic cartridges
    -- flying airplanes
    -- catching grouper
    -- cleaning scallops
    --ham radio itself
    -- the C language -- and the BASIC, and FORTRAN, and French, and German and any other language....than your mother tongue
    -- the understanding of relativity
    -- Maxwell's laws
    -- how refrigeration works
    -- how to get a chain saw to start
    -- and CERTAINLY morse code!!!

and a host of other items, where if you aren't willing to LEARN something, and DO something, you simply can't get it. But people who enjoy life generally figure out that learning and working are actually fun!

6. KA4DPO

Here it is. Dated August 2019, that just screams appeasement tactic based on correspondence between Mr. Roubelat and the FCC regarding compression algorithms for the SCS PACTOR system.

The free software says it can decode WINLINK and does not mention PACTOR VI at all. In fact, Mr. Roubelat, in a letter to the FCC, stated categorically that PACTOR IV is proprietary, and that he would not release details about the data modulation/compression used by that system.

This is clearly a case of trying to close the barn door after the cows have gotten out only to hide the fact that the door was open for so long. Give up, you are not convincing anyone.

Attached Files:

7. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks, there appears to be a screw loose or run amok here.
    1. That disclosure was not written by Jean-Paul Roubelat --- I wrote it, and my name is right there at the top.
    2. It isn't about compression algorithms "for SCS PACTOR" --- it is about compression used by WINLINK, and PAT, and DRATS, and several others --- and how it can be applied to the B2 protocol which is an extension of Jean-Paul's B1 protocol.
    3. There is no PACTOR VI....at all....that i now about.
    4. Mr. Roubelat, to my knowledge, has not written the FCC at all.
    5. The technical description of Pactor IV has been disclosed for quite some time and anyone can read it -- http://www.p4dragon.com/download/PACTOR-4 Protocol.pdf -- it is FORTY TWO PAGES LONG --- and what the SCS Firm is not releasing is their own source code of how THEY accomplished that protocol. You are quite free to do it yourself if you wish. WAVECOM has already written their own code for PACTOR 2 and 3 (and maybe 4, I just didn't bother to look) --- so it was clearly adequate.....
    6. There is no need for convincing -- it is now a fact that you can read WINLINK. But anyone who understood what Jean Paul wrote 20 years ago....already knew that.

There is some sort of difficulty the writer is apparently having. Mixing up names, facts, understanding, claims, person....

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you guys realize that the domains winlinkdrama.com and winlinksaga.com are both available?

winlinkthemovie.com too.

K0IDT likes this.
  9. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

if you look way down this page: http://www.tenes.info/galerie/R

You can see a photo that might be Jean-Paul Roubelat. I'm not French, so i don't understand exactly what that page is about, but Google took me there for the gentleman's photo. I'm guessing that page was done in 2010 by the inscription at the bottom. I also learned that Roubelat also wrote code to predict antenna angles to reach satellites. Apparently a very bright man, very mathematical.

And I also checked the FCC electronic comment system --- Mr. Roubelat has never made a submission to our FCC here in the USA.

So no, none of that made any sense, just like the post on which it came from.

And if people don't really care when the truth gets trashed, I'm not moved--- the rest of us deserve to have balderdash exposed for what it is

Cheers,
    Gordon KX4Z

10. DL6MAA

DL6MAA Ham Member QRZ Page

What has F6FBB (Mr. Roubelat) to do with it? And what about PACTOR 4?
    Like all other PACTOR levels, it can be monitored (read) with the modem itself (PMON mode).
    And do not mess up the transport process (PACTOR) and the compression (LZHUF) by the actual
    application again in a very vague way.
    BTW, we will definitely not reveal the P4 source code! The world is too competitive for that.
    What is that all about: open speech/language or disclosure of intellectual property?
    The only thing left to you is this weird bashing on commercial modems. That is really poor.

73 de Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.