How many different modes have you worked?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K2NCC, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

As much as I hate when folks give incomplete answers to "fish", I'll still bite and ask "What mode and are you ready to try it?"

I have 10-80 and willing to work anything you want.

2. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I want to do packet with my Commodore 64.

3. K2NCC

Your computer choice doesn't matter, but the mode is fine. Name a packet freq you want to work, even this evening, and I'll go there.

Hook me up for a sked, I'm ready!

4. KC9UDX

I don't have the means to do it yet. I'm still trying to figure that part out. The computer choice does matter: Thousands of hams must have done this before, but I haven't found anyone that can show me how it's done; I get lots of advice on what I could do with 'modern' hardware :(

5. K2NCC

Adapt often and quickly or die is my motto. If you're wrapping your hobby around 30+ year-old technology, then your audience will be limited. (This coming from a pre-Commodore computer user.)

6. K2NCC

If you own a "modern" computer, which I assume you're answering this thread with, you can do packet.

If GOOGLE doesn't answer any questions you have, PM me and I'd be happy to offer any advice I can.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  7. KC9UDX

I have no desire whatsoever to use Windows in my shack.

Believe me, I'm in no hurry. This is a hobby, and one I don't have time for. :)

8. K2NCC

It doesn't have to be Windows. Although I'd bet there are a few programs out there you wished worked on your preferred O/S.

The mode is all that matters. You want to work HF packet, I offer you the opportunity. If you have time to surf QRZ.com forums, you have time to make a QSO in a mode you want.

If you're only here to bitch or whine, then you'll never accept. If you're a real connoisseur of modes, then scheisse or get off the pot already.

9. KC9UDX

No Windows, no linux. There is no software I'm lacking.

No. I can't take an HF rig and a computer with me wherever I go:eek: and even if I could, I probably wouldn't.

In case you forgot, I didn't particularly want to discuss it; but you insisted.

This is not a competition. I've no need to accept or be accepted...

10. K2NCC

In my experience, those who refuse to modernize their computer usage are lacking in abilities. I'd wager a hefty amount that there's at least a thing or two I can do that you can't with your Model T that you wish you could. If all you're interested in is classic and nostalgic, your audience will be limited. Sticking to old-tech is stagnant at best.

I've had MANY hams that are vintage-hounds, but when I demonstrate what I can do with modern gear, they unanimously walk away re-thinking the possibilities.

When it comes to technology, you have two choices; Adapt or be left behind with the rest of the archaic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.