How many different modes have you worked?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K2NCC, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. VA3KAB

VA3KAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm up on 21.072 calling CQ. Haven't seen any SIM31 signals yet :(

2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I followed you up there Dave, but nothing yet. My marker is on 1800. I don't know if this mode receives on either side of my placement, but still reading.

I'll hang out here for a bit longer, then back to JT9 for a while...

3. K2NCC

There you are! Thanks for coming back to me Dave.

1stsim31qsoWvk3ab.JPG

Nice. New mode added!

4. VA3KAB

heh heh, thanks for the QSO Frank! :) Need to spend a little more time figuring out what all the various macros etc. do. Looks like it has potential though!

EDIT: It looks like it decodes psk31 as well as sim31 but only transmits sim31? I saw you trying to work F4GWY, his signal was decoding as psk31 but when you tried to answer him the decoder switched to sim31.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  5. K2NCC

I see F4GWY calling CQ, but I guess he doesn't decode my reply. He's around 1300 on the same freq we were.

eQSL doesn't like that mode. And won't take it simply as "DATA", so I'll upload as PSK31. DATA is fine for LoTW.

I sure hate the whole ADIF issue with new modes. Heck, some aren't even so new!

6. VA3KAB

Check my post above Frank, just added an edit. I saw F4GWY too, but he was sending psk31.

7. K2NCC

Ah, probably a good reason he didn't reply! I imagine he's wonder what the heck is going on. I'll have to look around and see if I can turn off decoding native PSK31 sigs. Maybe that's what that click-able "Auto-M" green box is... ah, yeah, maybe. It changes from:
    ----------------------------------------------------- 23Apr2013 17:08:20z 1724Hz SIM31
    ----------------------------------------------------- 23Apr2013 17:08:27z 1724Hz PSK31

I'm a little nervous about the "auto QSO mode" but perhaps I should try that next time.

Half the fun is learning all this stuff!

8. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've never done that with a computer. Unless you consider my two 555 based CPO a computer..?

Unless you have a horn that has variable amplitude or frequency, that sure is digital.

There is no analog component to Morse code. There is on and off, and nothing else.

How is that analog or digital?

I think maybe you have the same idea that a lot of people have these days: that digital means "new and better" and analog means "old and worse".

Digital has discrete states, that is, finite variability; and analog has infinite variability.

9. K2NCC

Most of your argument doesn't make sense to me. Particularly that line. But again, that dish is best served where they've already beat the horse-meat to full tender.

So Matt, you ready to take on something new? Any mode that you haven't worked got yer fancy?

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

All I can say, and I'm trying to help: is that you don't quite understand what digital and analog mean.

Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.