how many -30 hams

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by PE2YSB, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. k0dxc

k0dxc Guest

I was thinking CW contest, I don't know if Duncan would be interested, it seems that he is mainly into digital, and what band will you be on tonight?

I myself call cq de k0dxc/13yrs and I can get pileups that way, Normally in evenings I go to 30, 40, and 80 meters.

2. KI4PRK

KI4PRK Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way, Calvin, I read your bio. Good stuff on the 77 countries. It took me less than 4 months to get my DXCC [​IMG] of course I'm homeschooled so I probably have a bit more time, but my point is it's not that hard to get.

Also FB+ on the speed. Be nice to finally have a 30+ WPM QSO. I slip sometimes when I get up to say around 35 or 37 WPM, but I'm quite proficient.

Not sure when exactly you started DXing, but did you get any of these: VU7RG, N8S, 1A4A, VK9DNX, 3B7C, 3C7Y, 5L2MS, XF4YK, or the V8 DXpedition? I got all except the V8, 1A4A, and 3C7Y. I have 192 DXCC countries (194 CQ countries) and about 185 are on CW. I know a ham (AI2C) who has all except (obviously) North Korea and South Orkney on CW!!! CW's much more fun, but if you need a new one, just hit SSB and get the new one. Then, even if you can't get them on CW, at least you have them. I had to do that with VU7RG — got them with ease on SSB, but couldn't crack the CW pileups.

I'm not in FISTS or SKCC, but I still am a CW enthusiast, and until Christmas I only had a Straight Key. I am proficient with both Paddles and a Straight Key, and I'm up and coming with true Iambic "Squeeze Keying" techniques. I recently tried a Bug for the first time. Man was it hard, but god was it fun!

Just flipped through my log, and the only countries I have only on SSB are: VU7, 9U, 5A, OJ0, VP8 (Falkland Islands), VP2V, XT, TZ, KG4, FP, and 5N for a total of 11 SSB-only countries; that gives me 181 on CW. So I was about 4 countries off.

Also, I think you said you have a Yagi. Man, you should have your DXCC in a month (if you had the operating time HI HI)! I just have a 100W basic FT-890, and an 80' Dipole up 45 feet.

If you want, I'll call you on 14.042 MHz (my standard CW sked frequency) at about 3:00 tomorrow, or the day after. I'll be going about 28–33 WPM.

73, de Brennen KI4PRK age 13

3. KI4PRK

Wait just remembered you have school. OK, CU on 3.535 at 8:00 if you like, tomorrow, or the night after.

4. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

CW contesting is always a go for me, but ragchewing I prefer digital modes.

5. KI4PRK

Don't worry. We should all talk to our parents or something, maybe we could do a team effort for the CQ WW. Although if it's the CQ WW I'd prefer the SSB test as I like to do the CW alone and get the new ones. Oh well. It'd still be really neat to get an all kid DX contest team. I can guarantee we'd get quite a few callers, at least from the USA.

6. KE5SCY

KE5SCY Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of my Engineering class just got their tech licenses.

I got mine!

KE5SCY

7. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

I hope that will soon change....

To "I got my general!"

You'll love HF, trust me...CW, SSB, Digital, get your general!

8. KI4PRK

Screw the general, get your extra!

ALL the good CW DX, and 99% of SSB DX hangs out in the Extra subbands on 80, 40, 20, and 15.

Whats that you say? You don't DX? HEATHEN!!! [​IMG]

9. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

Mercy!!!

I LOVE DXING!!

and you're right, I have worked all of my 82 entities on the extra portions of 20/15/10 SSB!

I like the SSB DXing because it is a bit more of a challenge.
    I also like saying I talked to them, literally.

The accents interest me, I just find it weird/interesting how just our surroundings affect our voice and vocal tendencies.

10. KI4PRK

I know what you mean about SSB DXing, but I still (and probably always will) prefer CW DXing.

Now BEING DX is a different story. RTTY was my favorite way to run pileups from 4U1WRC. CW was really fun too. SSB was fun, but really tough and it gets fatiguing quickly.

And I know YOU love DXing, Duncan [​IMG] I was talking to KE5SCY [​IMG]
    Glad to hear you like 15M. I *thought* I had unconfirmed DXCC on that band, but I misscounted and I only have something like 80 or 90. Favorite is probably YW0DX, either that or TZ1T. I wish TZ1T would have operated more CW, I only got them on SSB [​IMG] still, new one for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.