how many -30 hams

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by PE2YSB, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. k0dxc

k0dxc Guest

And of course CW can do that, I thought you would know better, CW is an art, especially when it comes to qrp,

When people set the records for the qso of the farthest distance away with the least power they use CW to do that, think I'm wrong? Look it up.

Prove me wrong when you try to do that with your computer

If you are working stations you can't hear at all then that's not traditional amateur radio, it's a chat room and you can keep it on A.O.L.

2. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

There is no doubt that you can decode specialized weak signal modes a few dB below what you could copy in (aural) CW. A quick glimpse at Shannon's and Nyquist's Theorems shall leave no doubt. Of course, this is only possible at the expense of channel capacity (= speed).

But CW is the only mode where the operator itself is part of the decoder block diagram, and the skill of the operator itself has a great impact on his success. Speed is not everything. Also the ability to copy under difficult conditions such as QRM and QRN are important.

Here is a nice example of something that throws most CW OPs off. If you manage to decode the callsign sent in the following Wave file, you're good. PM me to verify the call ;-)

http://dl0tud.tu-dresden.de/~dj1yfk/signal.wav

3. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

My point was not about not hearing stations scaring me away, my point was how I don't have to hear a station to work them on JT65.

What's wrong with a wire at grandpa's house? I have 800 acres to do whatever I want, and I spend enough time there over the summer, a wire at grandpa's house will be the best bet.

I was not saying CW wasn't an art and I do know CW can do that. I operated it quite often, but it wasn't my cup of tea, I didn't find REAL enjoyment in it.

It's not about traditional radio, if the hobby was all about traditional radio, you wouldn't have your 706, it's not spark-gap or tubes, THAT is traditional radio. If it was about remaining traditional, we would be back technologically several years.

Digitals modes have an art to themselves. It's not clicking a button and watching your computer do everything, at least that's not how I operate digital modes. If you want to draw conclusions on different modes, why use SSB? It's voice, lets leave it to phones. Why morse code? It's old and for telegraphs, lets leave it in a museum.

It isn't about what's traditional and what is best. It's about using different modes that mean different things to different people, I personally find enjoyment and fascination using digital modes. I won't go into details why because I don't want to bore anyone with all the tech speak involved with it and my life story to go with it all.

Calvin, if you insist on arguing with me about this, send me a PM or email.

Lets get this Topic back on track:

Hams under 30, my family actually has 5 hams under 30, and I can name a few more in the area. Total comes to around 10...not all of them are extremely active, but they have their license!

4. k0dxc

k0dxc Guest

Duncan

I didn't say there was anything wrong with a wire antenna, I was stating that if you wanted to hear stations since you mentioned earlier that was sometimes the case that you should upgrade your antenna, perhaps save for a yagi like I and lots of other hams have, not only will they allow you to hear staions, but they work much, much better then wires

yes, back on track, I am about the only teen ham in my area, there is one other but is not active and he is a couple towns away, but there are some others under 30 in the area

5. KB1NYQ

KB1NYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

hey cw rules all hands down. k0dxc i worked a wopping 6 q's n 6 min during the naqp last weekend and that was all i did. anyways cw rules.

btw idk that many young hams like 4 or so. no have i met in person

6. k0dxc

k0dxc Guest

Of course CW rules, after the first 60 mins of the naqp I had 50 q's

50 q's in 60 min's,

not the best but it was awsome considering I have a vertical and that's it

7. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm 29 and I know a few hams who are under 30, and some under 25.

But they are mostly the children of other hams I know.

I've been a ham for 10 years. I started out as 9Z4DS, then got 9Y4RAJ after passing 13WPM CW in Trinidad. I still have that callsign and use it when I go there. I got AB2MH shortly after I moved to the USA and I got N2RJ last year.

I also hold M0RAJ in the UK.

Who knows, maybe I'll get DXCC licenses. [​IMG]

What really got me interested in the hobby was building my own equipment.

The first transceiver on HF that I used was an IARU 20 meters kit for CW operation.

8. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

Read your bio. on your website Ryan, very interesting!
    I didn't know you held all those licenses, especially the one in the U.K.

Also, want to try and set-up a SKED on 20m?

Somehow NJ has eluded me, or at least the ops that QSL from NJ have.

9. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, name your date and time.

Weekends are best for me, but I also do 40m phone and CW on evenings (after 7PM Eastern).

Regarding callsigns, I'll tell you how I got them all.

In Trinidad and Tobago (where I am originally from) you had to write the British exam to get a ham radio license. So I wrote it in 1997. It was expensive (about US$100) plus there were no published pools like there are here. I saved up a lot of allowance money by the way to pay my exam fee. Now it is different in that the exams are run by RSGB and cost less (I think).

I was also practicing CW because I didn't want the 9Z prefix (which is no code). But when I first went to the telecommunications office in Port of Spain, the code examiner was a no show. So I ended up just taking a no code license which was 9Z4DS.

A couple of months later I went back and passed the 13WPM morse exam and got 9Y4RAJ. There is no difference in privilege. Just the prefix.

In the USA when I moved here I wrote my license exams here (easy) and got Extra in one shot. AB2MH was the call. Finally in 2007 when N2RJ became available I took it.

Since I had the UK exam certificate, I could apply for a license. My friend Phil 2E0PLA in England let me use his address as the station address. This way when I visit him or go to England for other reasons I could use M0RAJ. So I applied for the UK license, and since it is a lifetime license there is only a one time fee.

By the way, since Britain uses "regional locators" that means I can also use MM0RAJ, MU0RAJ, MW0RAJ, MD0RAJ, MI0RAJ and MJ0RAJ. (Scotland, Guernsey, Wales, Isle or Man, Northern Ireland and Jersey).

So now I hold 9Y4RAJ, N2RJ, M0RAJ. My XYL is KC2OYY. She is active on PSK-31 on 40m and also some CW (mostly CW contests).

My friend Steve, W2ML really takes the cake though. For years he worked at CBS news and traveled all over the world with them, and carried ham equipment with him. He has licenses from many of the countries that he traveled to.

BTW, you may recognize him from a recent QST magazine, as he is the guy who helped find out that the Patriots were cheating.

10. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

Yeah! I hate the Patriots, they win too much.

I am on the same page, weekends are best time for me.

Would Saturday, 1900Z, 14.216 work for you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.