How long to work DXCC

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WA4OTD, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

176 worked 159 confirmed total and 114 confirmed LOTW. the count rolls on! Lots of fun! I still haven't turned in my DXCC ap.

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I worked 115 entities this past weekend in the ARRL SSB DX contest. Also worked 5 band WAC, which was a surprise! Sure was nice to see 10 meters rocking!

...........Bob

3. WA4OTD

Nice work.

I actually pulled out the mic and worked 2 new countries and about 70 new bands.

I'm also trying for 5band DXCC and pushed 10M to 50 worked, now to collect the cards. 80M will be hard for my attic antenna.

4. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

I started HF in 2008 using a 6BTV. Now 2011 I have 97 confirmed countries and hopefully have my initial DXCC before the end of the month. I have worked more than 97, as my total now stands at some 130 countries.

5. WA4OTD

ALways interesting to see information about DXCC. I started to turn in my LOTW DXCC application and ended up close to $90 so I backed out and need to try again. I was including countries for all bands also but still expected it to be cheaper than that.

6. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have any cards that need to be mailed in at all, then send whatever cards you do have in as well instead of using the LOTW credits. Seems to me it is less expensive that way.
    Make sure you had it figured out correctly, $90 seems pretty insane!

7. WA4OTD

I thought LOTw would be cheaper, but guess I need to read closer! I think it did not recognize me as a member. I also included worked on other bands to get a start on 5BDXCC.

8. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be for 600 QSLs! At 500 or more they are $0.15 each.

Think what the postage would have been for paper cards.

9. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that would be in addition to the basic award fee of $12 for the 1st submission for the year and already having the basic DXCC award.
    I am not sure how it works with LOTW but with actual cards, $12 covers 120 cards and over that is .15 per card.
    So according to my precise calculations it would be $69 to send all 500 cards at once.
    Add another $45 for the personalized plaque.
    As far as shipping that many cards goes, they could probably all fit in a flat rate Priority Mail box so it's not all that bad.
    If you meant acquiring the cards, yup, expensive! It is usually done over many years though and that takes the edge off at least. Many come through the buro as well.
    For the last few years I have been sending cards in (once in a while, not every year) for the challenge since I only have a small amount of new mixed DXCC cards to send in so it gets covered in or close to the 120 card max covered by the $12 over a period of time.
    It's not so bad that way.
    If I figured it out right, if you had say 75 actual cards to send in and maybe another 10 LOTW confirmations that you could use, if you also have cards for the LOTW confirmations then send the 10 cards as well instead of using the LOTW confirmations that you will get charged for.
    My disclaimer on this being true and korrekt is that I got up early to go to the Puyallup swap meet and I am worn out from the event!:p

10. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been a ham for 3.75 months and I am at 117 entities with 55 confirmed by either LOTW and/or QSL card. I have been super into DXing and have been sending QSL cards. I hope to get to the century mark in next month or so. I send QSL cards to everyone I contact and ask for LOTW confirms. I plan to start sending green stamps this week. I have been getting some eQSL confirms from some of the DX but am trying to politely influence contacts away from eQSL. I am not sure how long it will take to 200 or 300 but it is the journey that is fun not getting to the destination.

Keith
    AG6AZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.