ad: M2Ant-1

How long to work DXCC

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WA4OTD, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

With my antenna situation it's like fishing in a mud puddle! Someday I'll be in a location where I can string up full size 160M stuff again!

Confirmations are the hardest part, it really is fun when a new country shows up in the mailbox!

2. K3IA

K3IA Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread is very timely to me. I started as a novice in 1970 at age 13. I have never operated more than 100W and most of the time utilized simple antennas. I did have a small triband beam at 30 ft for a few years back in the days when there actually were sunspots. My log from ca. 1991 indicated a solar flux one day of 367! :)

I recently renewed my interest when I downloaded HRD. I took on the massive project of entering some of my old logbook data to see how many I had actually worked/confirmed. I am missing so much data but here are the totals that I can recreate. From 1975-1977 and 1988-1992 ( I was off the air for over 10 yrs in between) I worked 323/confirmed 309. 280+ SSB and 275 CW. I worked 5BDXCC, but I am missing confirmation of about 20 countries on 80M. WAZ on 15 and 20M confirmed. Missing zone 34 on 10M. Missing about 15 zones on 80M and 3 or 4 on 40M.

None of it was done with the assistance of a packet cluster, just good ole tuning the band and listening with a headset. Of course the sunspots helped a bit! :D

3. WA4OTD

You have some serious DX!

I'm not sure why I didn't get the DX bug when I was 15 in 1975 and spending 12-16 hours a day on the radio working CW. Log after log of many QSO's. I look back and just didn't even realize there were any awards.

I think HRD helped me organize and see where I was at for the awards and helped me really work on them. I know of few people that have entered past QSO's into HRD for tracking. You might also enter the unconfirmed into LOTW and see if there is a hit.

4. WA4OTD

Wahoo! This morning #100 popped in on LOTW, I have another 42 confirmed via QSL card and 161 worked. I think I will submit via LOTW for DXCC and WAS and then later in the spring submit my cards. Just over one year to get confirmed on LOTW, 2500 contacts, 850 confirmations, around 30% confirmation rate. I notice some bands have much higher confirmation rate and some much lower.

THey are getting much harder for me now. Hard to maintain 2 new DX per week.

5. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations, Leroy

way to go. Enjoy the journey to 200.

6. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good Leroy you should be proud that's a lot of DX in short order. I also started keeping a log 01/01/09 had been licensed for 2 yrs before that but did not keep a log that was a bad choice that I made. A friend in my club kept after me all of a 1 1/2 yrs to start one so finally did. First said I was only going to use LoTW only for DXCC and I did it in 11/15/09.

I did a new application on 12/11/10 using LoTW and cards for 206 confirmed with 241 worked so far. As you and a lot of others have proved a lot of DX can be worked in in a lousy sun spot cycle.

I'm here in zero land a flyover zone for a lot of DX but still workable.
    Leroy I'm to the point where the cards and LoTW have really slowed down on confirmations. But Fri. I did receive a card I had been waiting for since 09/02/10 when I sent for it was ZS8M. Good luck on the 200 sticker mine was for Phone only.

7. WA4OTD

You've done a good job keeping it going with 241 worked. I find many DX using LOTW show up 3-4 months after working them. I would send $2 and QSL only to have LOTW confirmation after receiving the paper QSL! Mine is all CW, I almost think it would be harder to work all phone. It's hard either way!

My goal has been 2 new DX per week, but 1 has been it for several weeks now. I'm also dealing with lousy antenna with everything in the attic. I really think snow on the roof attenuates the signals, I've noticed for 3 winters now. I keep dreaming about putting up a dipole in a park around here or at work or something like that...

8. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Leroy the ones that disappoint me are those you wait on for a long time then send a card with green stamps and a few weeks later you get a LoTW upload but no card back at all.

Well I guess if it was easy everyone would do it :D

9. K5TEN

K5TEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me be happy to give you a good chuckle.

30 YEARS!

Like many, family, career, many place to place moves over the career took a toll on hamming time. Last year I looked at my cards book and was at 94. I went back and tracked down as many (living) past countries I had a QSO with but no card...made an Access database of all the countries and went after the low hanging fruit first--USA and EU QSL managers. The rest I sent $2 (camoflaged) and an SAE. So far, 10 received 8 still waiting (yes...over 3 months from some USA/EU QSL managers). I must also qualify that that some of the received cards came from USA QSL managers and most of those very QUICKLY.

Now: 113 paper QSLs in hand
    5 LoTW Confirmations

DXCC application will be heading to HQ next month.

30 years. Sheesh. Again, family and career were more importaint.

Oh...and if you are reading this and I sent you an SASE for a stateside QSL manager or you are a DX station and I sent you $2 greenstamps (well camoflaged) and an SAE, please send me the card. I'd really hate to send in my DXCC app without the full 120 they allow. THANKS! God Bless!

Bruce

10. WA4OTD

I started sending emails to people I send $2 to and don't receiver a card. I think most of those are "lost in the mail", ie someone in the postal service grabs the $2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.