How long to work DXCC

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WA4OTD, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I started fresh when I loaded HRD ~last December 1st. So in 3.5 months I have worked DXCC. I know the biggest challenge will be getting them confirmed. The pace slowed down a lot even on the last 5, whole new respect for the people with 150, 200, 250 or more confirmed!

How long did it take you to work DXCC and did you confirm?

What is your count now?

2. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It took me about a year for all confirmations. I sat at 99 for eternity though. :)

Number 100 was pz5ra, Ramon. I sent him a thank you note.

3. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

It took me just over 4ish weeks to work my DXCC 100. Confirming them is a different story.

In the months since late Sept. of '09, I have worked 200+ new entities (that is when the new antenna went up at the new house. Clean slate). I also have massive respect for those that have 300 confirmed. It gets more and more difficult every day to find a new entity and get them worked.

Brad

4. AB8MA

It took me another 7 years to get from 100 to 203.

I need to teach my trees to waltz.

5. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

To work them or confirm them? Cause if it is to confirm, I may just cry :(

I have the 200 worked, but am at 80ish confirmed LOL.

Brad

6. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber QRZ Page

With good propagation and a well equipped station it should be possible to do it on a weekend during one of the major DX contests, and I'm sure it's been done many times. But, as said above, getting the cards takes a bit longer!
    Hal

7. AB8MA

I do not count them unless they are confirmed. I remember each one, though.

Other than the work with envelopes, IRC's, addressing all that, and mailing, the return rate has really been pretty good.

I do not mind the time, it always is a treat to see one in the mail slot.

8. KC7UP

KC7UP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been sitting at 260 for a long time. However I do not send off for cards.
    Curt

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To be honest my start was pretty slow, on 40m CW only, QRP with crystal control in 1965 as a Novice.

I think it took me about two years to work 100 countries, and maybe another two years to get them all confirmed (no LoTW or anything back in those days!)...

OTOH I now have 338 worked/311 confirmed, but it's been 45 years.

Also, it's a bit "easier" now, with better gear and antennas.

The fastest I ever worked 100 countries was in about six hours, during the CQ WW DX CW contest in 1999. Our station goal was to win the contest of course, but my personal goal was to make 100 on 80 meters, since at the time, I didn't even have 100 countries on 80 meters over many years of operating (never had big antennas for 80, until we put the contest station together).

We made it that year, with 104 on 80. That made me happy!

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DXCC is an evolving thing. What is considered a country yesterday may not be tomorrow, and Countries you worked so hard to get go away. They get "DELETED"

I have 325 confirmed and worked, so I am just ONE card short of the Honor Roll. But I have confirmed a bunch more which are now deleted. If they ADD a country, then I have to either work it right away, or fall even further behind.

That is why it is so important that I get this KT-34 up.

Last week, a Burundi 9U station was on, which would have done it for me. NOTTA CHANCE on my G5RV, but it would have been a CHIP SHOT with the KT-34. S.O.L! They are gone, and I am not in the log. (sigh)

So I wait for Sunspots, which may be another 5 years or more before they get decent, or atleast usable. Will I LIVE that long???

OH, DXCC. You can get a DXCC in one of these DX Contests, by watching the DX Summit and pouncing on the stations you need, in just one weekend. I got 85 one year in the days BEFORE Packetcluster, just by looking around and working what I could on a miserable Cushcrudd A3S. But SUNSPOTS sure help! In the NULL of Sunspots, it will take awhile, especially if you have to go to work all week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.