ad: Amateur-1

How long should it take to process my general?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KE8DAH, Feb 1, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KE8DAH

KE8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

Recently I passed my technician and general in the same session. Four days ago I showed up in the FCC database as a tech, and I'm starting to wonder about my general. Some people say it could be another week, others say it should have showed up as a general right off the bat.

Did any of you get licensed this way? Should I contact my VE?

Thanks, KE8DAH

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I passed my Novice in December 1974. Got the actual license in March 1975

I passed my General in April 1975. Got the actual license in June 1975

I passed my Extra in June 1997. Got the actual license at the end of July 1997

Just give it a little time - it used to be a LOT slower :)

Congrats on passing both!!! Enjoy HF

Just sign with "/AG" after your call - if you passed, you're a General whether in the ULS or not yet

Dave
    W7UUU

3. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at the documentation the VE gave you when you left the session. It should say General on it. I did the same thing (Tech/General) at the same time and the VE accidentally recorded me as a Tech. I brought it to his attention and it was corrected before I left. If you passed both, your license should come up as General.

4. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

You left the VE session with a CSCE. What does it indicate? I still have mine.

Tech was checked off, but then subsequently crossed out. By the time I passed General they must have had a bit more faith in me. It was never checked off, but it is also crossed out. Finally, Extra is checked off AND circled. In ten days time my Group A Extra Call Sign hit the ULS. If your CSCE indicates that you passed through to General, don't wait another minute. There is a problem, but you have proof and the VE team can fix it.

If they only checked off that you passed Tech, I don't know if there is anything that can be done except pass the General test again.

Was your tests paper based, or computer based? Mine were done on a computer. I think once the computer was reset for the next test, there was nothing to refer back to. If they were paper based, and your name was marked on them, you might still have a chance. Where would those test papers be now? Do they send them on to the VEC? Certainly the FCC will never see them.

In any case, anyone that says be patient is wrong. The FCC does not give out license classes in steps if you passed more than one test at a session. It's possible you was robbed. I don't think the VE team could just fix it if they "kind of" remember your session, but the least they could do is let you test for General again for free. Or just keep studying and pay to pass through to Extra this time (before the test changes in July). Good Luck.

Glenn AB3TQ

5. KW4EK

KW4EK Ham Member QRZ Page

If this is your first license and you passed General at your very first exam session then the FCC should have issued a General license outright, not Technician. That your ULS record allegedly (I have not verified) says "Technician" suggests that is what was filed with the FCC and an error may have been made by your VE team (or possibly the FCC). The FCC does not issue the license in "steps" but rather according to the highest class indicated on the filed paperwork, so if you passed "General" at your very first exam then that is what should have been indicated on your ULS record the day your license was issued.

The real question is what shows up on your CSCE slip, which should have been issued to you at the exam.

Any how, you should get in touch with your VEC or VE team to try and resolve the matter, but if your CSCE does not indicate "General" then you may very well have to retake the General exam at the next opportunity, but please do not fret over things too much until after you have spoken to them.

The good news, however, is that you are at least awarded Technician privileges in the meantime so you can at least use those privileges in the meantime.

6. K2BRZ

K2BRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't get licensed like that, but I passed my General on Jan. 13 and it showed up in the ULS exactly 10 days later. Now I'm just waiting on the Vanity Call decision. You can also look at the copy of the CSCE to make sure they marked off General.

7. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Not much of a "decision" necessary. No competition. You are predicted for assignment of your first choice on Feb 9th.

K2BRZ likes this.
  8. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it use to be sequential, but not any more, as KW4EK pointed out. In 1999 I took the Tech and General at the same VE session. I have a separate CSCE for each test and the licenses arrived sequentially, about 2-3 weeks apart. A few months later I took the Advanced and Extra at the same VE session. Again, I have a separate CSCE for each test and the licenses arrived sequentially. Again, about 2-3 weeks apart. But all that has changed now.

As others recommended, check your CSCE and check with the VE Coordinator. There may have been a submission mistake.

9. K5URU

K5URU Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on passing the Tech and General exams. I did the same thing just a few months ago. My license first appeared on the FCC database as a General. The other operators here have given you solid advice. As K7MEM put it, double-check the CSCE and contact the VE Coordinator. I think you will find that the VEC will be understanding and helpful.

Also, welcome to QRZ. This is a great website with a whole bunch of very helpful and knowledgeable folks.

KC5AKB likes this.