How long is your ladder line fed dipole?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by W8JI, Jun 24, 2010.

?

How long is your balanced dipole antenna on the lowest band you use it?

Poll closed Jun 29, 2010.
  1. about 88 feet on 80 meters, or 44 feet on 40 meters

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. about 102 feet on 80 meters, or 52 feet on 40 meters

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. about a half wave on the lowest band

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  4. about 5/8 wave on the lowest band

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanted to try big, for years. SO when I moved here I put up a 92' tower with the 400' long dipole fed at the 90' level with 450 ohm line. The line is about 300' long to the shack, no baluns, goes to a Dentron tuner. Works good, I use it on 160 and 30 meters.
    For 40/80 I prefer my coax fed fan dipole, mounted at 50' on the side of another tower. No balun there either. The balun is inside the tuner. The only other antenna that actually uses a balun is the QUAD.
    As far as addressing the problem of the 450 ohm line entering the house, I decided against a balun and short coax feed simply because of a comment by Lew McCoy in his antenna book. I had agonized over it for a few years, then I read Lews comment. He basicly said 'Don't worry about it', it isn't that big a deal. so, I just feed the very short path through the wall with the 450 ohm line, and directly to the tuner. Works just fine.

Frank

2. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't feed the antenna with ladder line, I am using 35 feet of TV twin lead. It is not a dipole but a single strand of 14 ga. stranded copper wire, 130 feet long. Kind of like a modified end fed zepp for 80 meters.

3. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have about 80-100 feet of 600 ohm feedline running straight from my antenna to the kw matchbox. To get it in the house it runs through two pieces of PVC at the correct spacing. The dipole itself is around 102 feet, give or take a few inches... that's about all I could tightly squeeze in. It loads up on 80,40,20,15,10 just fine. It loads up OK on 30 and 17.. still gotta place with feed line length a little bit there. Right now the antenna is on the ground, darn wind took it this past weekend out so I have a little work to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.