how long do you keep a new radio

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KA5ROW, Mar 5, 2018.

?

How long do you keep a new radio, used as the shack’s main radio?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2018.
  1. less than one year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3 to 5 years

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  3. 6 to 10 Years

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. When the knobs fall off

30 vote(s)
    63.8%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

When you buy a brand new radio, How long do you keep it? If you bought it as new, say less than 6 months old count that as new. I see a lot of new radios on e-Bay after a new rig comes out.

2. WS7X

WS7X Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on how well it works and if it serves my purposes. I still own the first new radio I ever bought over 35 years ago and there are a few I didn't keep for a year! So it just depends on if it works well for me if its a keeper or if it just gets passed on. Its not a matter of time so much as function.

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

As time goes on kinda got over "rig of the month" thing of the nine HF transceivers on the operating desk tend to use the Ten Tec Omni VI plus and the Orion II the most the FT 450D is dedicated to digital modes. If something strikes my fancy from Kenwood or Yaesu in the future might consider it no Icom rigs in this shack based on past problems.

4. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, by definition, you can't keep a new radio for very long. After a while, you're keeping an old radio, since that's what your new radio became.

K2HAT and K3XR like this.
  5. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

The shortest I kept a brand new transceiver was two months. I was in Japan in the late 70s, and found a rig that interested me. I had no mobile web back then, so there was no easy way to obtain reviews. In short, it performed poorly and lacked design sophistication, in other words it was a dog. My main HF radio today is a TS-930S, bought new in 1982. It has been a pleasure to own and operate!

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've only had one new radio....my Ten Tec Jupiter, which I bought in 2005.

7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I need a lot more years to make a trend analysis, but my first new year I used for about 40 years.

John, WB0MPB

8. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am glad I am Close to normal, got a new Kenwood TS-570s, 2002-2009.
    Traded used IC-ProII had it maybe a year. Sold it for a, as new as you can get still in the box IC-Pro III.
    Almost new IC-Pro III, 2010 - 2018.
    New IC-7610 2017-???
    Felt Bad for the Guy, had the whole shack for sale IC-Pro III. IC-910H and a AL-80B all just 4 months old. I am sure it was Job or family issues. Kept it until 2018 so that would be 8 years.

9. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Then I give it away
    to someone deserving.
    like learning morse.
    out of a job.
    A new general
    old novice that needs a rig.

10. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

:pI've only bought one, an Alinco DX70T about 15 years ago, finally got around to putting in the car about a year ago.