How is this even possible???

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC3RN, Jun 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

So I wanted to get back on 30m, but the internal tuner in my FT-450 couldn't find a match with either my Carolina Windom or my inverted "L", and I didn't want to use an external tuner. So I decided to build a simple dipole using some scraps I had left over from other projects.

The antenna went together in about 10 minutes. I used the traditional formula (468/freq), then shortened the elements by about 4%, since I was using insulated wire. I had no idea what the actual VF of the wire was, I just took a guess....

So, up goes the dipole, about 15 feet in the air. I don't have an analyzer, so I just built it and put it up. I go into the shack, hit the "tune" button on the rig, and it found a match quickly. Made a few contacts, and all is well. Then, just for grins, I bypassed the tuner to read the actual SWR. To my GREAT surprise, it's 1:1 across the entire band...... No pruning, no trimming, nothing! I was shocked. I've built a number of antennas in the past, but I've always been a "fix it in the mix" kind of guy. In other words, get it close and let the tuner do the rest.

I know building a simple dipole is not like finding a cure for cancer, but I was happy with the result, and wanted to share. The weather even cooperated. No rain, and about 75 degrees. I think the amateur rule is that the weather needs to be bad in order for a new antenna to work......... Not this time. Thanks for reading!

KC8COM, NH7RO and KD6RF like this.
  2. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a fluke, next 1 you try wont resonate anywhere near the intended frequency :D

NH7RO likes this.
  3. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's ok,the weather was bad somewhere.:):rolleyes:

K6LPM and NH7RO like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes Murphy misses an opportunity. Don't worry, he'll be back next time.

K6LPM and NH7RO like this.
  5. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, my Inverted "L" must know something's up, because it's been behaving better today, too.......

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Never argue with success. ;)

KC8VWM, KM1H, NH7RO and 1 other person like this.
  7. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Play the lottery because today is your lucky day.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're on a roll.

Try for the cancer cure next, you never know.:)

KC3RN likes this.
  9. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Works for me. Subtracting about 4%-6% is really close for me.

What I wonder is how the formula differs for a vertical dipole.

10. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I always have the pang of worry when something works 100% the first time. It means something much worse is around the corner...

NH7RO and KU4X like this.