So I wanted to get back on 30m, but the internal tuner in my FT-450 couldn't find a match with either my Carolina Windom or my inverted "L", and I didn't want to use an external tuner. So I decided to build a simple dipole using some scraps I had left over from other projects. The antenna went together in about 10 minutes. I used the traditional formula (468/freq), then shortened the elements by about 4%, since I was using insulated wire. I had no idea what the actual VF of the wire was, I just took a guess.... So, up goes the dipole, about 15 feet in the air. I don't have an analyzer, so I just built it and put it up. I go into the shack, hit the "tune" button on the rig, and it found a match quickly. Made a few contacts, and all is well. Then, just for grins, I bypassed the tuner to read the actual SWR. To my GREAT surprise, it's 1:1 across the entire band...... No pruning, no trimming, nothing! I was shocked. I've built a number of antennas in the past, but I've always been a "fix it in the mix" kind of guy. In other words, get it close and let the tuner do the rest. I know building a simple dipole is not like finding a cure for cancer, but I was happy with the result, and wanted to share. The weather even cooperated. No rain, and about 75 degrees. I think the amateur rule is that the weather needs to be bad in order for a new antenna to work......... Not this time. Thanks for reading!