How is JT65 used?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KC8QVO, Jan 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8QVO

KC8QVO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen/heard very little on JT65 but did see some activity on 160m this evening so I figured I would switch to it for something different.

Of the activity that I saw on my screen there was no CQ'ing.

So if you do use JT65 - can you shed some light on how that mode is used and when?

After over 30 minutes of CQ/listen sequences I am not getting any replies, nor do I see any activity at all elsewhere on JT65. This is all on 160m at 1838kc (base freq, plus 3000hz audio passband).

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure it was JT65 you saw on the screen? I would be surprised. Switch to FT8, 1840.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Are you sure you're seeing JT65? Truly a SELDOM used mode these days....

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KC8QVO

KC8QVO Ham Member QRZ Page

I already closed my WSJT-X screen so I can't get a screen shot of what all it decoded. But yes I am sure it was JT65. The station everyone was working was TR8CA.

Here is a screen shot of the reporter site of a couple of the stations my instance of WSJT-X has reported from JT65.

Attached Files:

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Didn't say it wasn't possible - just not at all common.

So given that, don't expect a lot of activity - JT65 was once the king of digital modes - I earned the Digital portion of my ARRL Triple Play award (W.A.S. on CW, Phone, and Digital) using 100% JT65!

There are still folks out there running it no question - just be patient, make sure your clock is properly synchronized, and be persistent.

Obviously FT8 is a vastly more popular digital mode - but there certainly are still a few using JT65 and JT9

Dave
    W7UUU

K3RW likes this.
  6. VA3VF

Something wrong there. When I check PSKReporter from here, TR8CA only shows up on FT8.

W7UUU likes this.
  7. VA3VF

Look at your screen capture again. KL0S heard you on JT65.

8. W7UUU

JT65 is most certainly still alive out there...

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2020-1-3_19-19-35.png

9. VA3VF

Most definitely, but far from its glory days. It's a 'specialized' mode now, for certain uses. The same as JT9 is the mode of choice on 600M.

10. W7UUU

Frankly, I miss the "glory days" of JT65. I really enjoyed the "laid-back pace" - it was a great mode for "doing stuff around the shack while playing radio"

But alas, time marches on.

I spend far more time on CW these days than FT8 so that's a good thing - during the rage of JT65 that's about all I did. So it all works out in the end

Dave
    W7UUU

K3RW and NA1S like this.