How install radio & antenna on 2020 Pacifica

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KK4GGL, Dec 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KK4GGL

KK4GGL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have just bought (yesterday) a new Chrysler Pacifica.

Has anyone done a radio install on a Pacifica? If so could you give me some pointers?

Also, does anyone know if a through glass antenna will work on them?

Thanks.

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Mose newer vehicles have passivated glass to cut down on the amount of UV radiation getting into the vehicle. It helps in keeping the vehicle cooler, so less AC use and therefore less fuel consumed. Unfortunately, the passivated glass will also adversely affect the performance of a glass mounted antenna. Your best bet would be an NMO antenna mounted in the middle of the roof.

3. KK4GGL

I have just discovered roof rack antenna mounts. Almost center of vehicle. I just need to figure how to route the coax.

I'm not as far along on mounting the body.

Thanks for the reply.

4. KK4GGL

I've done a very temporary install.

I have a small 2m meter 1/4 mag mount on the roof. It has VERY thin coax which comes down the inside of the rear hatch. The body is in the compartment in the back on the driver side. The remote head is pushed into the front cup holders. Power is coming from the back 12v socket. Very temporary.

I spoke with a friend that has a 2017 Pacifica. He uses a trunk/hatch lip mount and uses the wire bundle to run the coax into the van. He uses a Lido mount seat bolt gooseneck mount for the remote head. There is a decent size rubber grommet in the passenger side of the firewall. All the wires are nicely hidden. He has used this setup for 3 years without problems.

5. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a lot of options. Using the back seat 12vdc socket should not be one of them. The wire size feeding such outlets is often too lightweight for the current draw of transceivers. If all you were going to do was receive it would be OK. Transmitting might be risky

6. KK4GGL

Why risky? Do you know the rating for the fuse for the rear socket?

7. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

MY Opinion:
    Powering a 50w (or less) transceiver from the Rear Power Socket should be no trouble at all, from the perspective of current draw.

According to the 2020 Pacifica Owner's Manual, pg. 119, the rear socket is fused at 20amps, more than enough for your radio.

2020 Pacifica OwnMan pg119   Rear Outlet.jpg

Some possible concerns may be RF entering the DC wiring, or unfiltered vehicle noise presenting at the radio. However, if you are already using this outlet, and aren't having those issues, then it's all just fine.

It's always exciting to get a new car, enjoy!

Cheers & HNY,
    David / N2PQW

8. KK4GGL

Thanks. I just looked up the fuse for the ft-7900r (my radio) It has a 15a inline fuse, so it is lower rated than the socket fuse.

9. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Uh folks it's not the size of the fuse that matters...it is the size of the wire feeding that fuse. You could have a 50 amp fuse ahead of the 12vdc outlet but if the wire was only safe for 10 amps you would be headed for a situation (under full current draw) where the wire heats up and can actually burst into flames. I have seen it happen. It is not all that difficult to run adequate size wire from the engine compartment into the cab. I have never done it any other way unless I was powering a cell phone or a 5 watt handheld