ad: w5yi

How I Tune Up My Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Jul 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes that not a problem, it's the "nature" of the antenna.

The SWR changes on my doublets when it rains because their both fed with 300ohm ladderline; my tuner "sees" that and changes with it. It's not at all extreme, and goes back to "normal" when the sun comes out and dries out the ladderline. If your antenna is coax-fed and you have no ladderline, there's a problem.

KR3DX and M1WML like this.
  2. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

the 11 meter crowd tunes everything to the right and 250% hello audio!

MM0IMC and M1WML like this.
  3. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Real hams don't run amplifiers. Improve your antenna set up and then if the station still can't here you turn off your rig and go do something else.:rolleyes:

K9GLS, KE0GXN, KM9G and 3 others like this.
  4. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tom is the go to ham for Ameritron amplifiers. No one knows more about them than him. He's an expert in most facets of amateur radio.:)

W0ARM, KR3DX, N3FAA and 2 others like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The T-bolt is a bit of a beast at 120 lbs dry.:p

Not sure about the screen regulator change...the B+ in that amp is only 2200V and there needs to be a large differential between anode and screen voltage to prevent excessive screen current as more cathode emission will be drawn to the screen and dissipated. 4-400A's can run "bright red" anodes 24h/day and in old broadcast service as amplifiers or modulators they often were run that way...for years. But you have to keep grid and screen currents low, that's what destroys them.

Tuning up the T-bolt, I found tuning by watching output power and screen current "only" is very sufficient and never spent any time looking at plate current.:)

Enjoy the old hardware!

6. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

Loading control set to 11?

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K2EIR and MM0IMC like this.
  8. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the best ways to tune an amplifier is pulse tuning. Set your keyer for 50-60 WPM. Hold down the dits while tuning for maximum output.

AB0R and K3RW like this.
  9. K3RW

K3RW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Would a pulser help as well?

10. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

A.BOOM BOOM MacSWINE.JPG

---Layne AE1N