ad: HamHats-1

How I Learned Morse Code Quickly and Easily

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, May 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's one way. And it's a good one.

But I've also heard other ways. Fewer dits, irregularly spaced. A question mark. A pair of I characters. A simple pause, followed by the corrected text. A simple pause, without a resend, if the correction is blatantly obvious.

You should learn to hear and understand each of these, though I don't recommend adopting all of them in your sending.

KK5R likes this.
  2. KI0A

KI0A Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to both of you!
    Thanks for all your info, too, KD0QV.
    One fun thing about this... my husband is glad I'm interested. He's getting me a key for our anniversary :D

3. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Then work a Spanish speaking station, their ragchews are definitely at an increased speed.

4. KF6FRR

KF6FRR Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a great idea, however that particular app is only for android operating system. Those of us that use ios for their phones, this particular app is useless.

5. DU2US

DU2US Ham Member QRZ Page

6. DU2US

DU2US Ham Member QRZ Page

GREAT JOB! CW IS AN ACQUIRED SKILL.
    After you learn the characters, slowly build your speed. Get on the air. Listen to my QRQ cw practice at 20wpm to any speed you can handle. We can build our speed together.
    Remember, we can work qsk to work a decent group qsos.
    de
    du2us/fil

7. AE4P

AE4P Ham Member QRZ Page

8. AE4P

AE4P Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought my transciever had a spell check function. Oh boy Whats the short cut for hold on while I google that?

KA5RIO likes this.
  9. AE4P

AE4P Ham Member QRZ Page

How is the copy training going?

10. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I've also heard many people send two "eye's" (dit-dit, dit-dit) with some of them sending a slightly longer space between the two "eye's"... The most obvious thing is that all these things are easy and quick to pick up on but the old eight-dits is still the most accepted way.

I once built a keyboard from plans in CQ Magazine around 1975 or so. Worked great. However, only seven coding diodes were used in the hard-wired character memory so I built in a seven-dit error signal. Missing one dit was never a problem since it was understood and no one every complained about it.

11. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is the NERD'S way of learning CW:

upload_2017-5-26_18-53-2.png

Imagine the need of a super computer to copy 40 wpm. :)

KK5R likes this.
  12. SHARONKAYGEO

SHARONKAYGEO QRZ Member

Great job in learning Morse Code! Would you or anyone else be able to take a quick look at this video to see if this is someone transmitting Morse Code (and if so, what are they spelling). My neighbor sent me this file and had just watched the movie "Parasite" not too long ago, Lol. She said it went on for at least half an hour...And it has happened on other days.
    YouTube video link:
    Thanks in advance.

13. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It says:

WE ARE BORG, YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

14. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But seriously, no.

Not Morse, it's a detective security light.

15. SHARONKAYGEO

SHARONKAYGEO QRZ Member

Thank you! Good to know :). With the pandemic and everyone being shut in, and she just having watched the movie "Parasite", she didn't want to take chances.