ad: LZQSLprint-1

How I Learned Morse Code Quickly and Easily

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, May 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I passed my 13 wpm the old fashioned way: in front of an FCC examiner over 35 years ago. I've long since forgotten it and couldn't even fumble my way through the alphabet right now.

Two things:

I could not find this particular app the OP referenced: "Morse CT." I'm sure there are categories that have more apps than Morse code but I've yet to see one. Any shortcut way to find it? Any better apps out there?

Is there a better way to learn rather than by starting off with each individual letter like he did in the video? In other words is there a downside to that? I know you have to know what letter is what but I was wondering if there was some method that was proven to lay a stronger foundation. People don't learn languages that way so I was wondering if there were any other proven methods out there where you don't start off with rote memory of each letter and number. I've had plenty of musical training both professional and self study but I feel the way I learned piano (especially through self study) is actually holding me back BECAUSE I did it through rote memory and not a fluid understanding of music. I can read sheet music but not quickly and I only use it to serve the rote memory machine in my head. I was able to play complex pieces so well I could close my eyes through the entire piece. That is when it occurred to me what I was doing and why it might be wrong since I couldn't play a new piece without practicing the crap out of it for MONTHS or even a year.

2. KK4SHF

KK4SHF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is a Language of abbreviations... I have had QSOs with (dare I say Russians :) and Italians etc.
    I get the gist. You will too. It a load of fun.. good for the ole brain too.

3. KO4L

KO4L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You have challenged me to get cracking and learn the code again. I passed the 5wpm for general years ago but promptly dropped the mode. Thanks I will look for the MorseCT

4. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, "learning" the code in the sense of memorizing it is not hard at all. What's hard is internalizing it, so that you can use it without thinking about it and without thinking about what you're doing. That takes time and patience, but time and patience absolutely will be rewarded with results. That's the good news.

DU7DVE likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Forget the dots and dashes. They may be needed for an introduction but ya gotta focus on the sound. Its one of those odd things that doesn't come natural for many folks. Musically inclined individuals usually have the gene that makes it easier. :)

AA8TA and W1YW like this.
  6. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for posting this. I have been playing with this for two days and am having lots of fun with it.

7. W4LLZ

W4LLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I started learning CW sending/receiving about 1.5 years ago. I learned the code in about 30 days (as you did, the letters, numbers, and some punctuation)...however, i got a big surprise when i sat down and attempted to copy CW, event at 5 wpm, I couldn't copy any of it. It was because when I sent CW it was known what was being sent (by me)...but, when the CW was coming in (receiving) I had no idea (or could anticipate) what the sender was sending me. As of this date, I still struggle with receiving CW but I am improving over time... I can copy the letters at 13 -15 wpm, BUT its hard to 1) build the character in my mind as I hear the dit dahs, then 2) build the word from the characters, 3) and then build the sentence all at the same time. I'm getting better but it is truly a language that you learn and not just a "mode". My 2 cents.

8. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well sir, this is not a Heil microphone. Please google the Chinese ebay "Neewer" microphone.. $37 dollars for the mic, boom and silly pop screen... My next video i will be advertising this Chinese microphone that sells on ebay and Amazon, so others can save their money instead of throwing it to Heil.

KK5R likes this.
  9. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well then why is it standardized by the International Telecommunications Union? I would assume if that guy in France you speak of learns the ITU code, not American morse, then he would be on the same language as everyone else using the ITU standard.. If you have 9 apples in France, you have 9 apples in America. If that French guy you mentioned learned the ITU code, then he would be able to tell me he has 9 apples, in the SAME language that i told him I have 9 apples.

10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

No, because Morse code doesn't magically translate what you send from English to French, and vice versa. If you send via Morse code "I HAVE 9 APPLES" the person on the other end will copy "I HAVE 9 APPLES", but it won't mean anything to him, unless he can read the English language. So the letters of the alphabet go through fine, but the meaning does not.

In order for you to have a "language" you must be able to communicate all sorts of thoughts, actions, and things. Morse code is really no different than PSK or RTTY inasmuch as individual letters are transmitted and received from end to end, but utilizing an underlying language that makes those individual letters into words that are understood by a person that can read that particular underlying language. By the same token, a person that doesn't understand the underlying language is just transmitting groups of letters without any meaning, to him.

For example, a man in NYC wants you to send a message to his brother in Buenos Aires. But he and his brother only speak French, the NYC operator speaks only English, and the Argentine operator only speaks Spanish. If the guy in NYC writes out a message in French, hands it to the NYC ham, and that gets transmitted via CW to Argentina, it will be transcribed letter by letter as it is copied by the Argentine operator. The copy is then handed to the French brother in Buenos Aires, and he reads the message as it was sent, and it makes perfect sense to him, but neither radio operator had any idea of what it meant, even though they both know code just fine.

11. DU7DVE

DU7DVE Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not a language. It's an alphabet. An alphabet is a way to codify a language. You can use one alphabet to codify different languages.

KK5R likes this.
  12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no reason to Google that. 1) I don't use Google; I use StartPage.com, thank you very much, and 2) I'm not in the market for a microphone. When I want to operate phone, I use an LG-440G. FMI, Google "cellphone." When I want to operate radio, I use a Brown Brothers CTL-B and Heathkit HW-8.

I'm sure the Chinese appreciate both your purchase and the free advertising you're planning to provide them. eBay and Amazon also appreciate your plug.

Sir...

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  13. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like you're more into Making "videos" for your "subscribers" then working CW. You will probably forget everything you say you've learned. Use it or lose it.

WN1MB likes this.
  14. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

True, it's not a language on it's own however you learn Morse code by sound just like a child learns a language. First we learn the sound of letters and numbers so we can get on the air and start using the code. Then as we progress we start to learn the sounds of words and phrases. As our Morse vocabulary grows and we become more experienced and familiar with the different sounds we can put away the pencil and we start to copy everything in our heads. This is where the real fun starts. We can sit down in front of a radio and just listen and understand everything we hear. The op is off to a good start. He now needs to get on the air and start using the code. Everything else will fall into place with enough air time.

KK5R and WN1MB like this.
  15. KI0A

KI0A Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video, Eric. I'm also trying to learn CW. It's a big commitment, but worth it, I think.