ad: Alphaant-1

How I Learned Morse Code Quickly and Easily

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, May 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

This was the way I just learned Morse code in less than a month.. I found that this method worked for me, and in the video you can see how i took baby steps, and just used a couple techniques to learn the language..

Attached Files:

KB3OXJ, M0OXO, KA4ZZZ and 5 others like this.
  2. AA8TA

AA8TA Ham Member QRZ Page

Despite the app, or whatever other method you used to learn, I would say that you demonstrated the two most important things to learning Morse code: motivation and enthusiasm.

If you have those two, almost any learning technique will work.

One thing I would caution is to learn the characters, whether receiving or sending, by their sounds. You mentioned getting paddles; when you get to a certain speed, you'll have to know what a '1' sounds like, not what it is composed of.

I don't think anybody should think in terms of dits and dahs. Each character has a unique sound.

Glad you're enjoying Morse code. It's time for you to get on the air and make some contacts. Keep at it and have fun.

K8AI, KA4ZZZ, KP4SX and 3 others like this.
  3. DU7DVE

DU7DVE Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. I can usually memorize things fairly quickly but I really had to struggle to leave the visuals behind and learn the sound because of the early practice we were doing in chatting on messenger with dots and dashes. That really held me back because I had to visualize after hearing the sound.

But that was a really long intro on that vid... :(

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  4. KC9OSX

KC9OSX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm learning the same way as KJ4YZI, except I started with the Morse Toad app, which only plays the characters fast, which I think is 25 or 30 wpm. When I got that down, I moved to the Morse CT app, to get full words and to practice sending. I'm doing ok, but when it comes to copying more than a few characters, I think my brain works too slow. I'm going to keep practicing and listening. I was going to try using a Morse Decoder to help me while on the air, but I'm afraid it will be a crutch, and prevent me from actually learning it by sound.

K5WRN and N4GST like this.
  5. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow
    have to try this way but it doesn't exists on IPhone :(

6. DU2US

DU2US Ham Member QRZ Page

Listening and sending cw is not enough for speed achievers. You must love ragchews to different good cw operators.
    When I was building my reading speed, we the group of CFO led by w9to. We rattle airwaves almost every night at 7.030mhz.
    du2us/ka2clf/fil or phil.

7. 4L5P

4L5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Мне нравится ваш CW де 4L5P

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda dispels the notion that new hams are not interested in code it's also satisfying to work some of them on the air from time to time they do an impressive job for a short time in the hobby..... stay with it and have fun.

KA4ZZZ, KP4SX, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  9. DU7DVE

DU7DVE Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice to meet you here Manong Phil. Still working on my decoding. Hope you'll be back on air with your CW practice sessions.

10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing I would point out is that Morse code is not a language, it is an encoded alphabet. If you speak English, and the person you are conversing with speaks French, you will not be able to communicate using Morse alone. You could carry on some rudimentary conversations by using common Q signals and abbreviations, but you won't be able to have detailed conversations or pass messages that the other party will understand.

KK5R likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

As a drummer, the rhythm of the code is strong advantage in learning.

Good for you!

KP4SX and K9ASE like this.
  12. K4KYB

K4KYB Ham Member QRZ Page

can you post the link to the website for the app?

-.-

13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Morse code cellphone app: the cheap, Jap, plastic base hand key, batteries, and door "bell" buzzer of the new millennium. That said...

...congratulations! Now that you've learned the bits a pieces, ditch the cellphone and app, put on the headphones, grab a pencil and paper, and hand copy CW off the airwaves. Make contacts. Converse in your new language. It's a blast!

And think of the nice Bengali key you can purchase with the funds acquired from selling that Heil microphone, boom, and silly wind/breathe/spit/pop screen!

73, Jeff WN1MB
    http://alienjeff.net

14. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen. Jump in with both feet, Eric. It only gets better.

15. KM4VLO

KM4VLO Ham Member QRZ Page

That is awesome, I used the same app and it took me less than a week to get the transmit part down, I still am working on my receive speed.
    Congrats Eric!