How high can a magnetic loop antenna such as w6lvp be placed for best reception

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KI5KEE, Jun 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KI5KEE

KI5KEE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I currently have a w6lvp loop antenna on a rotator at about 8 feet. I get good reception. Since I am located in Texas I do not believe I will ever hear as good as others on the east coast for European signals. I just got a hex beam at 26 feet and it hears as good or generally better than the loop. Up to 2 to 3 s units at times.

Has any one mounted their loop higher and got better reception. My loop is in the clear and without obstructions.

I can get out on DX well with my hexbeam and 43 foot vertical and AL80 amp. Want to be able to hear better.

I can raise my hexbeam to 30 feet. For 40 and 80 I have a 43 foot vertical.

thanks

john

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use an array of small receiving loops for the low bands. Initially my plan was to rely on phasing with a null canceller to reduce to power line noise.
    I found it more useful to move the loops as far away from the power lines as possible. As well as move the loops laterally to dodge noise sources.
    I still have a loop located and oriented to pick up line noise, but I haven't used it on over a year.

Raising the hexbeam higher is a good idea. Another 5 feet will help. 70 or 100 ft isn't to high at the bottom of the sunspot cycle.

A beam has the advantage of a unidirectional pattern, as opposed to the bidirectional pattern of a loop. In some cases the sharp null off the sides of the loop can be helpful, but the more directive antenna generally hears better.

Zak W1VT

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Pro-1B Amplified Loop instructions advise mounting it at 8ft. This is roughly two (2) diameters above ground.

My EZNEC modeling and casual testing confirms that lower than two diameters above ground decreases pattern gain at lower elevations.

In posts here others have reported elevating their loop antennas improves DX reception.

I have not modeled this.

-While elevating your antenna may improve reception, it is unlikely to approach that of a direction Yagi like the Hexbeam.

KU3X and AK5B like this.
  4. SWL37632

SWL37632 QRZ Member

I have extensive experience with these kinds of loops. Currently use a 6 ft diameter copper tubing circular loop on the roof....for receive only. Higher elevation is better: Decreased local 'noise' pick-up and higher signal reception....ie higher S+N/N ratio. Since this is a small loop (smaller aperture area) , it does not compare by any means to a full size loop such as a delta or quad, in the vertically oriented configuration.

5. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    This is my W9LVP amplified receiving loop, enclosed in 3-inch PVC pipe for weather protection. It's about 3 diameters above ground mounted on an old hand-dug well.

Enabled me to work Japanese and EU stations on 160 that I'd never have been able to hear on the vertical.

Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

AK5B likes this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Aperture is not determined by absolute size of the antenna. It is a function of gain.

Additionally, we are discussing an Amplified Loop, which is not dependent on the physical size.

AK5B likes this.
  7. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

There's no limit on how high you could place your receiving loop, but in general 2 to 3 loop diameters is probably around the point of diminishing returns.

FWIW, I've heard plenty of dx stations (and worked a good percentage of them) via my first 1 meter diameter STL that was a mere 44 inches above poor ground. Doubtless I would have heard and worked more if it was higher than that but it was my situation at the time.

Jeff

WB5YUZ, K0UO and W9JEF like this.
  8. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KI5KEE

KI5KEE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply’s. I have two loops phased at around 8 feet. I am going to raise these to 15 feet to see if they improve reception based on the previous reports.

AK5B likes this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used small HF loops in Airplanes.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the air