ad: TIDrad-1

How high a mast can I easily attach to my house?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AI7DR, Feb 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. AI7DR

AI7DR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for your reply!

Just curious, can G450a rotate the whole mast?

If I mount it in the bearings, and guy ropes on a ring, I can probably rotate it by hand to begin with... ;)

2. AI7DR

Planning to read the specs, though for those TV things have not find the detailed enough yet to give that wind cross-section rating!

Sorry, just though I would ask here...

3. EA1DDO

EA1DDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure.

Bottom end. You can see both "V shape" supports in vertical position. Small piece of mast acts like a hinge or shaft, to allow me to fold the mast easily.

[​IMG]

My mast is not touching the ground. That is to install a rotator in the future. That's not necessary for dipole or vertical antenna.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the top support, made with a third "V shape" item.

All you can see has been done with no special tools, just a drill and a hand saw, nothing else. All items came from E-Bay.
    I made all of this myself, I meant, not copying anyone else, just trying to resolve my needs in my situation.

The mast is aluminium, telescopic. It reaches nearly 40ft high. You can easily make one at home, ordering the tubes, then with the saw make some cuts, then with a "hose clamp" you tight it.
    Mast height depends on wall height, the separation between bottom and upper supports, and mast diameter. In my case you can see they are around 10ft apart. My mast goes from 70mm (2.75") at bottom to 40mm (1.5") at the top.

Hope this helps to you or someone else.

73, Maximo

KR2W, WZ7U and AI7DR like this.
  4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Maximo,
    Very nice setup.
    Barry, KU3X

EA1DDO likes this.
  5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I get that. I was lucky when I purchased my 80 feet of new Rohn 25. A local ham store went out of business and I was able to pick up 80 of tower for only $25 a section. You don't need new tower sections. Uses is fine. Just make sure there is no rust.

Good luck,
    Barry

6. KR2W

KR2W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes it can handle it. You could rotate it by hand, but if you're using any type of beam, you'll need to get up, go outside and move it every time you want to change direction. That gets old especially in the cold and rain or like me in the middle of the night in the cold and rain, or sleet, or snow, or ice, etc. :eek:[/QUOTE]

7. AJ4SN

AJ4SN Ham Member QRZ Page

My two-element, 20 meter beam with rotor is at 27' supported by a push-up pole anchored to the house at the peak at 12' (see photos on my QRZ page). The beam is homebrew. It was designed by Cornell Dentea, KW7CD. It is very compact -- the boom is only 7 feet in length and the elements are 16 feet long in total. The small size results in less wind load. The push-up is a Rohn H50, which can extend to 43' when guyed. It hasn't been through a hurricane here in Florida (yet). It performs very well although the front to back ratio isn't as good as a three element beam. It also has the advantage of a low visibility in a restricted deed community.

Stan

8. AI7DR

Wow, this is very inspirational! Thanks, Maximo!

I will seriously contemplate this...

Paul B.

9. EA1DDO

EA1DDO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am temporally working/living in UK. Here houses are a bit narrow, and back yard is quite small.
    At same time, I have young children hence I can´t fill the space full of masts or towers. Local restrictions apply too.
    For all those reasons I had to look for something like that, easy to build, minimum space invasion, etc.

In the future I´ll try to make a rotator. My idea is to place it at the bottom, twisting full mast.

This setup could give some ideas to Paul - AI7DR.

My pleasure.

73, Maximo - EA1DDO & M0HAO