How high a mast can I easily attach to my house?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AI7DR, Feb 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AI7DR

AI7DR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thinking about my next antenna after 80m OCF dipole, hanging between trees (and not high enough yet), and I want something with better gain for 20m, current plan is hamsticks horizontal V, maybe add a reflector, but this is irrelevant to my Q.

It needs a mast! ;)

I do not want to mess with properly spaced guy wires on my 0.25 acre lot, this want to attach a pole to the side of my house. House is one story, about 21’ heigh. Roof overhangs the walls by a notch over 2’. And I would very much prefer not to have to climb to and walk on the roof, no easy access route there... But I do have a small attic window at 15’ or so, through which I can probably access the mast to tie it to the wall. And I do want to be able to lower it when needed to mount the antenna.

What do you think I can erect in these circumstances?

BTW, is cheap RCA TV antenna rotator that is all over Amazon any good for a lightweight 20m 2-element beam?

Paul B. AI7DR

2. EA1DDO

EA1DDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Paul,

I've done recently something like that.

I bought two of this mast supports: 371905113383
    You can order them in different sizes, lengths.
    They sell it in pairs, so you get two pieces per order, total I got 4 pieces (despite only need three).

I attached to my house' wall two pieces, in vertical position, around 2 to 3 ft high, and 1ft apart one from each other.
    At this point you can grab a short piece of mast between those two supports. Mast will be horizontally and will act as hinge too, to laid the mast for easy access.

Third piece/support will be as high as your wall allows, this time in horizontal position.

One you get those three pieces installed, you can attach a mast, in my case a telescopic mast, for your antenna. And the good thing is you can lower it and raised to access antennas for maintenance, winds, etc.

it's more difficult to explain than to do it.
    Will try to share a picture for you.

73, Maximo

K6EIR likes this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hamsticks are pretty useless, Think delta v if you run an tv rotator or even a spider beam for more than one band. Or a vertical like the BTV if you don't mind radials, that means walking the roof. I run a BTV but have a metal roof so radials are not a fuss. With a heavy mast you can just go with wall brackets and telescope it up. Just use hose clamps and with a cordless you can do a chunk of lifting at a time while its loose in the brackets. The tv masts will lead to disappointment in your application.

AK5B likes this.
  4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I know you said mast, but here is food for thought.

Use Rhon 25 tower. By attaching a bracket to your house, minimum height 12 feet, you can free stand Rohn tower up to 35 feet above that bracket. That does not mean that you can now place a monster yagi on top of that tower, but you can a small tri band yagi like a Crushcraft A3S. ......and...you can climb the tower.

With a house bracket at 20 feet you could easily put up a 50 foot tower. Make it only 40 feet and you could place a Crushcraft A4S on top.

Three people can easily walk up 40 feet of Rohn 25 with no rotor, mast or beam on it.
    I did it here 44 years ago. My wife, neighbor and I walked it up.

Barry

AH7I likes this.
  5. KR2W

KR2W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Paul,

I'm actually getting ready to put up a 5 band (10, 12, 15, 17, 20m) hexbeam on a 40 foot telescoping mast against my house. The rotor is mounted on a 3 foot stand similar to small roof tower, at ground level and bolted down to a 3x3 concrete pad. The mast will pass through a sleeve mounted in a standoff bracket at the peak of the house and from there extend above the house as high as it will go. It will be guyed with either 3 or 4 ropes to the corners of my roof. There are 2 thrust bearings, one at the top of the base about 2-3 feet above the rotor, and the other is at the base of the last section of mast under the hexbeam. This is also where the guys attach. The hex only weighs about 20 lbs, and has a very low wind resistance. Here's the rub though, I'm also not able to get on my roof or very high on a ladder so I have to recruit a helper to do that for me. That's why I'm having the guys at the corners of the house. I can actually have them pass through eyebolts, and tie them off on the side of the house where they are reachable if I need to make adjustments.

I would not suggest a tv rotor. It will wear out with most any ham antenna quickly. The Yaesu G450a is a good lightweight ham rotor that should work fine and is what I'm using on the hex. They run about 300 new. Just thought I'd share because your situation sounds similar to mine. This setup was used by another local ham for the last several years at his QTH with no problems. He recently passed it on to me so I know it works. I'm just waiting for a warm day when I'm off work and my "ladder guy" is available to help me finish getting it back in the air again!

73s
    Chris - KR2W

WA8FOZ likes this.
  6. K4YFH

K4YFH Ham Member QRZ Page

how long of pipe can you go up on a rohm g25 40 foot unguyed tower with a hex antenna

7. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"BTW, is cheap RCA TV antenna rotator that is all over Amazon any good for a lightweight 20m 2-element beam?"

It's not how light it is that matters - it's how much of a load the wind imposes on the projected surface area. How much is that? How much wind loading can the cheap rotator handle before it strips it's gears and fails?

Any and all of you questions can probably be answered in the manufacturers product literature.

8. AI7DR

Thanks a lot for the idea, Maximo!

I was looking at those supports, and was thinking to incorporate some too! Too bad the ones I found so far are only 2’ deep, and for my roof I need a bit more for mast to clear it...

And is the mast sloped a bit? Bottom two has a horizontal pipe, top one just the mast.

And how the hinge works?

A picture would be much appreciated!

9. AI7DR

Thanks!

I was actually thinking about using hamsticks as wires of a dipole in V configuration, like this: http://www.hamuniverse.com/kl7jrhorizminibeams.html

And I tried a vertical, though on ground level, beautiful copper plumbing pipe! ;) But noisy, and I do want directionality...

10. AI7DR

Thanks!

I will probably graduate to a tower and commercial antenna, eventually! ;)

But for now want to keep playing on a budget!