How Geeky charm turned a WWII maneuver into a competitive sport

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Apr 9, 2021.

Tags:
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. W9EBK

W9EBK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm happy to see such great coverage of the sport. I hope to see many of you at the 2021 U.S. National championships.
    73, Don, W9EBK

2. K0AVN

K0AVN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now combine it with a SOTA activation and you have a biathlon event!!

VK2WP, HA2ZB and KI4POT like this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

How about this...
    You have a transmitter up on a summit somewhere, but have to find it via ARDF before you can activate that summit. Oh, and it's not a drive-up and there are no defined routes up. You get a rough GPS coordinate of the summit, but the transmitter can be anywhere in the activation zone.

Chris

VK2WP and HA2ZB like this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The original published in INVERSE included a link to the IARU which I forgot.

Another regretful omission was not highlighting K7JGH who is a.k.a. "...Joseph Huberman, an ARDF athlete from Raleigh, North Carolina, who has competed in five World Championships."

ARDF org's ought to consider expanded promotion by live-streaming Go-Pro video from competitors in the field via amateur MESH networks, tethered drone node-repeaters, or other innovative tech.

Truly a global sport, it could be naturally adopted in the USA by the "soccer-parent" type crowd. A clever if now somewhat dated video,

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    AF6SA likes this.
  5. N9AMI

N9AMI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunate most usa hams are to lazy to run anywhere. There is a huge problem in ham radio in the states and no one will address it. Its obesity and folks who don't take care of themselves. Now here is something you can do for exercise even ham stuck in a wheel chair can do it with a partner pushing you along. But alas it falls upon calling contesting radio sport. Its really not. Its not even sporting to run 3kw and have mono band beams for each band on 150 foot towers, the average ham doesn't have deep pockets like some. You get my meaning. This will probably be removed cause its to political and offensive but its the trash.

VK2WP and N1IPU like this.
  6. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Meh. It's not political at all and only offensive to hams who are ham-shaped.

I run or bike weekly, and now that I have my first covid jab, have gotten back in the gym on a limited basis (to go full retard once I get the 2nd shot). I frequently take a radio running or biking when the route involves a SOTA or POTA opportunity (I attempted to activate a local state forest under POTA Tuesday midway through my run) or when there's a contest going on and I can operate "pedestrian" or "bicycle" mobile (as I did in the recent VA QSO Party).

There is a pretty decent contingent of hams who are active and integrate radio into their sports. SOTA is a good example of that. Yes, there are drive-up summits, but there are plenty that aren't drive-up and involve fairly strenuous hikes. Not all hams live in their mobility scooters. :)

Chris

VK2WP likes this.
  7. K0AVN

Pretty much like most summits in the South Dakota Black Hills. Very few have trails to the top, lots of bushwhacking... Add in the biting flies from the Badlands and you'll have yourself a horrible time!! It'll weed out the weak ;);)

8. K0AVN

Wow...even has the typical European music!! I'm sure Will Ferrell could star in a movie about this! :):)

W0PV likes this.
  9. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the ARRL calling contesting "Radiosport" Is insulting to ones intelligence. I am sure there are outliers but contesting means the biggest station, antennas and amplifier's which it far out of reach for most. I happen to know a couple of big time contesters who each have over 100k or more invested. Really what skill is required? Its not Nascar where the best drivers get the best rides.
    At least this fox hunting requires skill and endurance, concentration and physical ability so it would fit as a sport. There are just too many hams fooling themselves with the contesting racket.

VK2WP likes this.
  10. R1BIG

R1BIG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is "somewhat dated" in this video? ;-) We did it with my friends in St.Petersburg in 2014. Thanks for adding of this link. This video exists in many other languages. (Russian, German etc). You can look at : https://ardf.club/#movie I like ARDF :) 73, Raisa R1BIG

AF6SA, OH73ELK and W0PV like this.