How Far Does a 10mW Hotspot Actually Transmit?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0LWC, Jan 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0LWC

K0LWC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hotspots are becoming increasingly popular for hams who operate digital modes. They offer the ability to access various digital networks without clogging up the local repeater, but just how far does a hotspot work? Will it be usable across your yard or across the city?

K9ASE likes this.
  2. WS4JM

WS4JM Ham Member QRZ Page

I get about 500' or so outside the house with the rubber duck antenna and hotspot on my desk. YMMV

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At those frequencies, it's all about antenna gain and pattern.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I had a CW contact on 14.318 MHz that spanned about 30 miles running 20 mW with a single transistor transmitter.... does that count? ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

N5AL, KU4X and WS4JM like this.
  5. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the point of a local repeater?

6. W9BFZ

W9BFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I can get about 8 blocks from mine with a "stock" antenna on the hotspot and a mag mount antenna on my car.

7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The point of the local repeater is to give those who like to monitor the repeater white noise to listen to while they wait for someone to use the repeater so they can tell them to qsy to simplex because they are tieing up the repeater and breaking thier white noise zen.

N8ZL, N5AL, K5WY and 2 others like this.
  8. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Being north of the Twin Cities (Mpls/St. Paul), I am not readly able to hit DMR repeaters on a handheld or mobile. Being such, I have putputed my Sharkrf to a roof mounted Tram 1480. At 10mw I get a one mile radius (1.6km) around the QTH. Have yet to try it mobile.

May not be the best thing to do if there is a repeater handy or in an urban area: however, I stay away from repeater pairs and satellite frequencies (441.025) and all works well.

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Across the city? Nope. Not hardly. Around the block when I'm out on my evening walk? Yes, which is more than good enough.

10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The only point of a digital repeater is, in addition to DMR/D-Star/Fusion/whatever, is that it is a repeater and you can chat locally on it.

Otherwise, with a hotspot, you don't have to worry about hogging it for use on your favorite reflector, etc. We had a D-Star repeater here for sometime. It's been down for a while, however, and nobody is much interested in putting it back up. Everybody has a hotspot and just doesn't see the point. ;)