How efficient is Morse code?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N9NAY, Feb 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9NAY

N9NAY Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K1RDD

K1RDD Ham Member QRZ Page

<<What if we rearranged the codes? Then we would get 4.1257 which would be about 9% more efficient. To put it another way, Morse code achieved 91% of the efficiency that it could have achieved with the same codes. This is relative to Google’s English corpus. A different corpus would give slightly different results.>>

What it doesn't take into consideration is common abbreviations in CW, like Q signals.

KI5WW likes this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hardly ever have any morse leftover from a QSO session. The small bits that remain as build up on the key are easily dusted into an ashtray. Mind you, I do wash my hands when I'm done. Yes, very efficient indeed! ;)

KI5WW, K4OCY and N4IAG like this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You're lucky.

I always have a dit left over. I call it the "hanging dit."

KA0HCP likes this.
  6. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I just spent 5 minutes on this thread...least efficient thing I did all day.

K3XR and K8AI like this.
  7. KE0EFX

KE0EFX Ham Member QRZ Page

So based on Google's English letter frequency, 29.81% of the time we EAT?

That explains a lot!! ;)

M6GYU likes this.
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Friendly definition clarification for those new to Continuous Wave and also Morse code.
    We Learn Morse.
    We work CW.
    Glad to find you're interested in Morse code enough to want to apply your efforts to learn it.
    Welcome and Best Regards.

9. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

We probably all know this but I believe Mr. Morse is said to have visited the local newspaper and counted the type drawers see how many of each letter were kept on hand. Using this analog for the frequency of use, he assigned the code characters. According to this book on information theory, morse code is described as a four character cipher ( dot, dash, short space, long space). As I am lucky to reach 10wpm, I personally don't worry about efficency.

10. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

But all this is fine if English is used. But for the majority of countries and speakers of other languages this doesn't work out.

KO4LZ likes this.