ad: MLSons-1

How does the ARRL CEO Ham?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Sep 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA2BLG

KA2BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears you don’t want to get the negativism. So, let me help you. The quote, “members who play an important role in our community or who were large donors” sends the message loud and clear... the CEO and the organization are “FOR SALE”.

I did not make that up and publish that... who did??? Uhm... NA2AA?? The rank & file members are just an annoyance. If you’ve got deep pockets and want to play, well, step right up!

This is pay to play at its finest.

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. Just wow.

Scenario posed and honest question:

Some loon is driving up and down your street driving erratically.

Would there be anything wrong with calling the police and reporting it?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    N0EE, N5EVV, KE0GXN and 1 other person like this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Behave yourself and the Snitch Program won't bother you.

N0EE, KC7ZXY, W4ABC and 2 others like this.
  4. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

If everyone had an attitude like that, Amateur Radio would become just like CB.

N0EE, KC7ZXY, W4ABC and 4 others like this.
  5. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I didn't know one could "ham".

Sounds like a nefarious activity that takes place after dark at a stockyard.

Either way, don't care - about ARRL drama or the misuse of "ham" in the context of amateur radio.

Next...

6. K2JVI

K2JVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually his name was Hiram Percy Maxim..

N0EE, KC7ZXY and KC3JH like this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Well there is a safety difference with vehicles over politically motivated attacks for not announcing callsigns in the prescribed time like was done recently.

W2TXB and KF0DHQ like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

The question was posed to KF0HDQ - not the masses.

KC3JH likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

I was referring to Hiram A. Maxim. The one who invented HAM.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not at all.

As a licensed SERVICE, we, as Part 97 licensees, are obligated to attain and maintain our mission which, simple put, alludes to being a skilled operator; contributing to the radio art; maintaining a trained pool (especially for emergencies) and enhancing international understanding through our communications. Not everyone does that. Those who do:" play an important part in our community...". Why? Because they ATTAIN AND MAINTAIN the mission that keeps us in existence as a government licensed SERVICE.

And now the second part of that quote and what it means...

The ARRL IS the "National Association for AMATEUR RADIO". That means it has an OBLIGATION both to its members, and the SERVICE AS A WHOLE, to advocate, educate and enable us as Part 97 licensees. DONORS donate BECAUSE this is what the ARRL/NAAR --DOES-- for you, me, for us. They DONATE because they support, enhance and ensure, the organization's ability to undertake the aforementioned mission.

No one is BOUGHT.

Everyone is SUPPORTED--both by actions, and enablement via financial gifts.

Now: go ahead and explain to me, and everyone else here, what is either: immoral; illegal; or unethical about same.

You have an audience. We are all ears OM.

Chip W1YW

WN1MB likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jack,

I was an original VM, since retired. The program is a run as a partnership between the ARRL and the FCC to help assure--reasonable-- compliance of the Part 97 regulations by those on the air. VM's are not band police. They are not required to be ARRL members. Many are not (I am BTW). They are 'extra ears' that allow the FCC to --itself-- decide when and if violations are actionable and enforcement is warranted.

The program is run by Riley Hollingsworth, a friendly advocate for we hams, a great radio amateur himself (K4ZDH), and a lawyer retired from the FCC staff. He is very much the perfect person to keep the program within its bounds, and purposeful for letting us enjoy our bands, within our agreed upon contract granted via a Part 97 license.

If you are not doing anything that is deleterious to the service as an on the air Part 97 licensee, then what is the issue Jack? Don't get your beef here. If you are uncomfortable with ham radio as a 'party line'--where others can listen at anytime, VM or not--then why have the Part 97 license?

Chip W1YW

KC7ZXY likes this.
  12. KF0DHQ

KF0DHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

These messages came rather quickly and suddenly so please bear with me for a logical answer to each one of your comments. Thank you.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why sure.

BTW Jack, no malice here. Just trying to give you a different point of view.

Also, NOT ALL violations reported are from HAMS. Our bands are constantly under attack.

Finally, the VM program long preceeded NA2AA's CEO start, and is the replacement for the ARRL 'Official Observer' program, which was an exclusive ARRL activity and went on for over 60 years, long before you were licenced. With today's VM program, the FCC is driving the bus, with help from the ARRL and others.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  14. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A59751A3-BD7F-4724-974C-404BEBEFF946.gif

KP4SX and KF0DHQ like this.
  15. KF0DHQ

KF0DHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

To: WN1MB

I agree with N1IPU. It wont kill you if someone's using 3kw rather then 1.5kw or if someone didn't use there callsign exactly on ten minutes. If a car is erratically driving down the road it could harm or kill someone. So my argument weighs out life and death situations because of the obvious. I've herd that rebuttal several times in my argument and I know how to defend. You think the masses would agree to the conditions very quickly given the consequent but this cant work because they have very diverse consequences. But nice try!

73's WN1MB

To: KP4SX

Sure right now it's pretty calm with the VMs right to snitch on things but I am mainly (not entirely) looking for the future. I believe anyone can see the censorship going on in big tech companies so I have no doubt that they will come for the free waves next! If we keep compiling to these un-fair rules t then eventually there will be no ham radio to have! Ham radio was the soil, VMs are the seed, and complete censorship of all air waves is the tree.
    I am just trying to pour weed killer on the seed.;)

73's KP4SX

To: W3PX

I would love that! If you've monitored CB radio it's just great! You can really hear peoples opinions on CB and guess what..... THEY DON'T CARE!!!! It's nice hear people speaking the mind without the fear of someone repotting them every ten seconds.

73's W3PX

To: W1YW

First of all I really don't care if everyone is listening to me. Honestly I don't care! Second of all I don't know why you mention the boss of the VM's I really don't care who is running it he is just doing a bad job. If the FCC wants to monitor the airwaves, they should do it themselves instead of turning the operator against each others. The FCC serves us. We don't serve the FCC. to hire Snitches in the crowd is what you might call cowardly.

73's W1YW

And this is to everyone. If you don't like what I said just say so in the chat and leave or debate me like a man. don't report me for "Hurting your feelings" or something

73's to all KF0DHQ

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.