How does one (easily) measure "power spectral density"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK3CHI, Nov 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK3CHI

VK3CHI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

Under new changes to Australian Amateur licence conditions, Advanced licencees are now permitted on 160, 80, 40, 20, 17, 15, & 12:

Any emission mode.
    Where the necessary bandwidth exceeds 8 kHz, the maximum power spectral density from the transmitter must not exceed 1 watt per 100 kHz.

How does one (easily) measure the latter parameter?

As a potential test instrument, I have a spare SoftRock SDR which could be connected to my RF output via an appropriate attenuator pad. However I don't know what software would allow me to do the measurement (if any). What are the alternative test instruments available? (any cheapo eBay gizmos that might do the trick? or kitsets that I can solder together?)

Thanks!

Andrew
    VK3CHI

2. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's just power divided by bandwidth. Here's an example. The total channel power in 10 MHz is -23.26 dBm. So the Power Spectral Density is -93.26 dBm/Hz (or -23.26 dBm - 10log(10,000,000).

[​IMG]

For your new rules, the power density is 1 watt per 100 kHz or 0.00001 watts/Hz. So at 10 kHz of bandwidth, you can run 10000 * 0.00001 = 0.1 watts.

In other words, exceeding 8 kHz of bandwidth incurs a huge power penalty.

K8AI, NE1U, WI7H and 1 other person like this.
  3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good post above. To measure power spectral density you only need to measure power and occupied bandwidth. A calibrated Spectrum analyzer makes that easy but an accurate way to measure power and another way to measure signal bandwidth like your SDR is all it takes.

K0UO likes this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cheat sheet says don't run more than 80 watts with such a wideband signal. Typical rigs would have a hard time with that anyway.
    Seems like a dumb way to implement legislation. What about the antenna and ERP? At 7kHz you can turn on an afterburner but at 8 you can't?
    I'm not seeing the logic behind the ruling.

K0UO likes this.
  5. W6RZ

I'm guessing the intention is to allow spread spectrum and other exotic wide band modes, but only at low power on HF.

6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

It allows us some very unique ways of experimenting using wideband modes for data and other digital applications.

7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Vrms/rt Hz, the math is quite simple really. rt is the square root of the Hertz.

8. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

But what does it say for bandwidths less than 8kHz which is the normal condition for LF/HF bands ?

Frank

9. W6RZ

400 watts PEP for the advanced license, just like before. Here's a link to the VK rules with the new additions.

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2019C00750

10. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the "1 W per 100 kHz" restricted to amateur frequency allocations?