How Does Google do it?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by WA4OTD, Nov 14, 2009.

?

How does Google do it?

1. The G does stand for governent

9 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin are that good

35 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. They have made a deal with the devil

22 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. They are incredibly lucky

21 vote(s)
    26.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you click on an image in Panoramio, it will tell you when it was uploaded but not when it was actually taken unless the photographer includes that in the description.

2. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree only dim distant overhead view. At my house seems the overhead is updated once a year and same for the street level camera.

Nice website! http://www.ka5row.com/

3. K1WMB

K1WMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto here in western MA - the pics are 6 - 7 years old. But street view is early 2009...go figure!

-Will
    K1WMB

4. AD2U

AD2U Ham Member QRZ Page

Google's business model: Catch as many eye balls as possbile with lots of freebies, then sell ad spots to advertisers.

They might not put an ad on a map, but all those cool and free features will help to change/re-enforce your mentality so that whenever you want to look for something you go google. Some day somehow they will catch you on a google web page with ads.

For the speed information, they could buy sensor data or they can buy free way live camera video feed and use motion detection to do speed estimate.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  5. KB9LXP

KB9LXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Google using real time cell phone info for traffic speed?:eek: My youngest daughter lost her cell phone, and I asked the Sheriff Dept. for help in traking it, and was told I needed a judges order to get things started??? So if Google is pulling "Illegal" info from cells, they are doing it Illegal.
    My vote is...With the Devil :D
    Mike

6. KJ4CMG

KJ4CMG Ham Member QRZ Page

The satellite views of my house are over 13 years old. The street view images are about 4 years old but when I type in my address, the image it shows is about 1 1/2 miles up the road from my house.

7. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

As a small business owner who maintains his own web site, I can say that if properly written, meta tagged, and indexed, a site that is added to Google is a godsend for business generation leads.

Conversely, improperly written, untagged, and improperly indexed web content frequently points Google searchers to YOUR COMPETITORS.

Try and do a street level search of my ACTUAL QTH, not my FCC listed address. First, you will have to dig to find my ACTUAL address. The GPS coordinates are on the 'Zed. You still won't see my house. Just a big wooded lot.

And that is the way I like it. :D

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  8. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

YOU wanted to know where the phone was. Google just wanted the data about what was happening around the phone. They could care less about who owns the phone.

Big difference.

9. K6TEP

K6TEP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorta :) The need for the court order comes partially from the cell company. They want a liability shield to protect them from being sued if they release the data. Because they were served with a court order, they are "compelled" to release the data, and are therefore not liable. That's also because you're looking for an individual's record. This is the "privacy" part of the equation working, at least in theory.

For the Google traffic crowdsourcing, it's very different. First of all, you can't get data about any individual. They even play some tricks, like dropping the first and last segments of your trip data, so people can't correlate your "track" with you based on a unique start or destination point. They also don't show traffic info unless they have a certain number of people at that location. In other words, unless there are more than, say 20-50? people giving traffic data on a street, they won't show anything. If you are the only person on a street that's giving traffic info, I guarantee that the data won't be displayed and may not even be stored. They are trying to make sure that they have a large enough sample that no individual can be identified.

Your biggest privacy threat in this model is the E911 and tower location data. Your cell phone is broadcasting your GPS coords whenever it is on, and if you make a 911 call, that position appears at dispatch. The cell company also stores some of that data, *and* the location of the cell tower(s) involved in your phone calls.

So, before you make that trip to the ham store for that shiny new radio, take out the phone battery so no one will know your dirty little secret!

10. KA4AAA

KA4AAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.