How Does Google do it?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by WA4OTD, Nov 14, 2009.

?

How does Google do it?

1. The G does stand for governent

9 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin are that good

35 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. They have made a deal with the devil

22 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. They are incredibly lucky

21 vote(s)
    26.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Google has hit homerun after homerun and everything is free! Download Google Earth and there is an option for traffic. WHen on it shows the speed of cars on most major interstates in nearly live condition. This is getting the speed and location from cell phones as people travel along these roads. HOW DO THEY DO THAT?

2. K6TEP

K6TEP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would have added "they are that good at finding great people". I know a few Google folks; some of smartest people I've met.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Google farms out their street-level photography to, I think, Geoatlas, who run the camera cars.

I live in a small backwater town. I recently wanted to see a new store near a small street improvement, only two weeks old. The street-level image showed it already!

A friend saw the camera car and wanted to stop and ask a question, but he was too late.

Truly amazing.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw the Google car drive by my house last spring and subsequent picture after.

For the cell phones I wonder how they get the GPS position and speed data from a cell phone provider(s)? Maybe deal based on their new phone or is this information public knowledge?

TEP: yes, Google reminds me of Microsoft in the early days.

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's done with mirrors. :D ::rimshot::
    vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

6. magician

magician QRZ Member

Magician-David

You Guys can check this Site ->
    h t t p ://googleblog.blogspot.com/ <-

And the new technology call Cadie ->
    h t t p://www.google.com/intl/en_us/landing/cadie/tech.html

128 Clusters Computers -> Cadie is the new AI .

Remeber ...

By last year we were ready for the final push: re-crawling all the generated knowledge representations and restarting the system from near scratch. Much as the end-Ediacaran mass extinction event opened the door to the Cambrian explosion, newly opened processing resources and storage gave fuel to a new cycle of evolving the most successful networks which comprise CADIE. On January 12th 2009, the STT run (Standard Turing Test) confirmed behavior indistinguishable from that of a reasonable human being with above-average intelligence and 3.8 GPA (we're still struggling to understand that missing .2; we suspect it points to fundamental flaws in the GPA system rather than CADIE. It's also worth noting that CADIE was never shown any textbooks and reading material for the classes; she was only administered the exams. In fact, during the first morning of testing she pointed out several important theoretical flaws in particle physics and cosmology. On several occasions she asked us whether we were really sure we wanted to do this; it is unclear what exactly she meant by these questions, or even by the word 'this.')

Cadie now is learning by her own !!!!!

AsS.: Magcian-David - Google IT-LABS

7. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Where do you find such things on Googol? I found my house the photo is at least 7 or 8 years old. And you can't even make out the shape of the house. As far as street level i don't even know where to go to find it. Help Help please. :D

8. K8ERV

On a Google map, at the top of the left zoom bar, look for a yellow figure. Click that and drag it to a street. The street-level pix should show up if it is available. Then you can move the cursor around to move or rotate the view. Takes a few seconds to catch up.

Truly amazing.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Street level doesn't work everywhere... yet! And while the image of my property is not quite as old as KA5ROW's, it is at least 3 years old.

Now if you want to contribute to the images, you can use Google's online photo album called Panoramio (http://www.panoramio.com/) and upload pictures there. The one thing you have to do is have your pictures geotagged with the latitude and longitude so it can be pinpointed on the map. Learn more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geotagging

What's that you say, you're camera does not have a built-in GPS? As long as you know where the picture was taken, you can use Google's photo organizing program called Picasa. (http://picasa.google.com/) You store your pictures on your PC then you can upload your pictures to albums you create on the Picasa website (http://picasaweb.google.com/). It works sort of like Flickr and Photobucket - and it is FREE. Once you have a picture in Picasa, you can geotag that picture by pinpointing it in Google Earth.

Once you have your pictures geotagged on Picasa using Google Earth, they could be chosen to be part of Google Earth so that everyone in the universe can see your work on the Picasa website! Learn more about it here: http://www.panoramio.com/help/photos_google_earth

Happy Boxing Day and Happy Picture Taking!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  10. K8ERV

Google maps is amazing, but I wish each image was date stamped.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.