ad: Schulman-1

How do you travelers continually reprogram your VHF FM rig?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC0BUS, Aug 19, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you run an APRS rig you can often see repeaters pop up as you get near them. I'm not sure if any of the APRS rigs will automatically put the other side of the radio on a repeater that "presents itself".

2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just came back from a 5 state 2000 mile trip. Before I left I used my RT system software to program repeaters along the way there and back in the order I would come into range of them. In a few cases repeater inputs/outputs were common in different areas with only the PL tone differing. Easy enough to change the tone on the fly. I also have an app on my phone called Repeater Book and it proved to be very helpful.

Of the contacts I made while on the trip they were almost equally divided into thirds: HF, VHF Repeaters, and 146.52 Simplex

3. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Areas I might usually go to are programmed. Other than that I just scan the FM portion of 2 meters.

4. W2ZDP

W2ZDP Ham Member QRZ Page

For me also, this is the best idea, by the time that one identifies a popular "local" repeater, you most probably have gone in and out of it's range. When you stop for the night, you can always look up freq's in the repeater book. I've found that for traveling long diatances, 400-500 mi/day, HF mobile is usually the best, you can almost always find someone to talk to. Wayne, W2ZDP

5. KI7GZE

KI7GZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally use RT software for my Yaesu FT60R and it intergrates with rfinder web page and I can route my trips and load repeaters along my route straight into my HT. Not sure if CHIRP will do it or not,havent tried.
    https://www.rfinder.net

KJ7WRZ likes this.
  6. AG7BF

AG7BF Ham Member QRZ Page

I use CHIRP and repeater book. I have images for places I go frequently in my Dropbox, and I have all the linked repeaters in Montana programmed in all the time (and that covers 90% of my travel).

7. N3VEM

N3VEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally don't bother trying to program before I go - I usually start by scanning, and then I use the tone search function on my radio to grab CTSS tone if I stumble on an active repeater. If I don't scan across an active repeater I do 2 things:
    1) If driving I just monitor 146.52 and put out a call every so often.
    2) If not driving, I just look up repeaters in the area on the repeaterbook app on my phone and plug them in manually as I try them

8. KC0NIB

KC0NIB Ham Member QRZ Page

My Icom 2800H turns out to use the same cable as that for my little HT. So just got software and mimic the VHF settings on it with that of the IC-T90A.
    I do the same with my Yeasu radios.
    The software wasn't horridly expensive and it allowed me to get on with the hobby quicker without having to spend so much time figuring out those menus.

9. NE2I

NE2I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use RF finder and Chirp. RF finder finds the repeaters by location and can output a file that is compatible with chirp Then upload the file to the radio.

KJ7WRZ likes this.
  10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Program ALL these repeater pair combinations in your radio.

http://www.sera.org/pdf-files/SERA 144 MHz FUP.pdf

Viola! ...Now you have every combination of repeater pairs programmed in the rig and they work everywhere you travel.

For TX'ing just set the PL tone on the rig to whatever works in the area you're located in, (most areas typically use the same PL tone for ALL the repeaters in the area.) but none of that matters if you're just scanning for activity or just listening.