How do you travelers continually reprogram your VHF FM rig?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC0BUS, Aug 19, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,
    I was wondering about a convenient way to keep a mobile 2-meter VHF FM transceiver in a vehicle continually updated on program channels as one drives from town to town or city to city as one roams this great nation (the U.S.A.). Is there a better way to do this without having to stop at each town and manually input all the frequencies in one by one? This is just too impractical. Surely theres got to be a better way, no?
    Thank you

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of people use CHIRP.

3. KD9CKB

KD9CKB Ham Member QRZ Page

icom id-51a and the mobile 5100 radios you use a micro sd card, I can put the whole state (FM) in a file and the gps in the unit will show the closest repeaters, you can have the entire usa d-star repeaters loaded in a file also,,, ,, the files are small so you can have whatever states your traveling to in a different file on the sd card ,, makes traveling and repeaters easy

VE7TNN likes this.
  4. VE3DDL

VE3DDL Ham Member QRZ Page

i leave my radio on 146 520 while i drive then when area going too stay in put one in vfo side .vhf/uhf

5. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I rarely use my radios when I travel because I'm too busy doing other things. I recently took a trip that went by train from San Diego to Seattle, by bus from Seattle to Vancouver, BC and then by cruise ship from Vancouver back to San Diego. The only time I used the HT I took with me was to monitor the railroad frequencies used by Amtrak between San Diego and Seattle. I didn't use it in Vancouver, nor on the ship.

I took an HT to Disney World several years ago and tried contacting someone on one of the local repeaters. Never heard anything...

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I use the 20 banks of memories in my FT-7900 - one bank for every area I go regularly.

I program using RTS Systems cable and software but that stays at home.

Dave
    W7UUU

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

When I go camping use a Uniden Home Patrol scanner with the GPS feature that selects frequencies based on your GPS location of course it can include other services along with ham radio or you can limit the selection to just the covered ham bands . It's a fun and interesting way to go. The attached GPS is a Garmin model GPS 18x PC . Would be nice if there were an HT or mobile rig with the same capability .

KG5UN and K7WFM like this.
  8. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

For FM, I use the RT Systems software on a ThinkPad... works great, although the repeater lists (TravelPlus and RepeaterBook are usually not completely accurate (largely because updated info is not sent to the keepers of those programs and sites). Dumping in a bunch of frequencies takes very little time and effort..

For D-STAR, I mostly use the "Near Repeater" function built into the radio... this also works very well.

9. AG5DB

AG5DB Ham Member QRZ Page

As KD9CKB mentioned, icom's 51A and 5100 have this feature (for both FM and D* repeaters). Wonder if Kenwood's new TH-D74 spots the same feature.

KD9CKB likes this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just Bluetooth from the repeater book into my Bluetooth attachment on my right. But only a few rigs can do that.