How do you manage late night DXing activities?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W7UUU, Oct 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sunrise is a great time to work DX. Local noise is often at a minimum, both from neighbors and hams located a short skip distance away.

Details W1VT VI2021PRIDE 2021-10-03 09:01:20 40M FT8 7.07445
    I've seen PRIDE events in the news. This is the first time I've seen one on the air!

2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't chase em in the middle of the night any more--too old for that now and besides I have DXCC plus on 7 bands including 40 and 80 where oftentimes the zero dark thirty action is to be found. But in the "old days" if there was a good possibility of some wee hours DX to be worked I would go to bed early, set my alarm, and get up and on the radio. That was especially true of 40 meters. As for 75/80 a lot of DX was to be worked just before dawn so I'd just get up early and check the DX window.

WD4ELG likes this.
  3. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy. I'm saying to myself 'today I gonna go to sleep earlier' then I take my chair at the radio and when with morning sun the propagation decrease I realize it's really time to go to sleep. :D

Actually I had to make a hard decision to get rid of anything below 20m to make it completely impossible for myself to work at the night. I proceeded from the assumption the hamradio is important for me however it's just a hobby and couldn't affect other parts of my life so with 20m and up only I'll still be able to make nice contacts but exceptionally during the day. As a part of this plan I recently put 40m OFC dipole and think towards some 160/80m shortened ('better-than-nothing') surrogate antenna. :eek:

4. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I stay up late as a matter of course, so I have no issues being on at odark thirty. That's how I get into oceana usually. Its the midday stuff I miss out on. :(

:D

6. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the good ol' days, I could function without much sleep. Even as recently as 2009-2010 I was working DX until 2 AM...but I did not have to be on work calls until 9 AM so it was convenient. I was in the mid-40's back then.

Then in 2014 my body shifted to mornings, and I could not stay awake past 9:30. Turned 50 and the body changed.

Then in 2020 my body shifted back again. Blame it on Covid. I have not been to sleep before 1 AM in a LONG time. Luckily my calls don't start until 9 AM so I have that flexibility.

My only problem now is that I don't have the itch for late night DX like I did 12 years ago...portable ops is a lot more fun, as is QRP.

7. NB3R

NB3R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Early to bed early to rise for me. I'm working on DXCC on 160 (from Eastern PA) and have most of EU so I need to be ready for grey line for OC and AS.

Turn on the amp and make coffee while it warms up.

Hope I can work the new one on CW but often it is FT8. I'll take what I can get.

WD4ELG likes this.
  8. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

late nite dx here is a result of the odd bout of insomnia (usually middle of the nite)
    Armed with a cup of sleepy time tea, I usually crank the 9100 down to 2W and see who I can work.
    Had good luck on 80M, modes are restricted to cw & ft8 depending what I hear.
    Dont want to wake the XYL or dog

9. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Concentrating on 160 now because I want to get DXCC, 25 more to go. Around sunset to a couple hours after, I can work EU and around sunrise I can work AU and AS. It's what I might be missing between the two that bothers me. Can't seem to stay up past 9 or 10 pm central. One of these days I have to see what might be happening around midnight, but I will likely be shot for days afterward. I used to stay out till 2 am and be to work by 6 am. What the hell ever happened? :p

WZ7U and WD4ELG like this.
  10. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Every minute wounds. The last one kills."

KQ9J, WZ7U and WD4ELG like this.