How do you manage late night DXing activities?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W7UUU, Oct 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Awesome! Same here.

He's going to be moving to 160 during that time slot now that he can't do 80

Dave
    W7UUU

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It pretty much has to be something I haven't worked on those bands to get up that early (late?). Being lazy in my old age, I just set the DX Cluster to ping my phone and wake me up. I'll head into the shack, work 'em, then head back to bed. I usually find the XYL a bit pissed off for waking her up, but I usually let her know beforehand, "Honey, I have to get up early to work this new DX, just so you know." ;):D

W7UUU likes this.
  3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I get up in the wee hours of the night, work the DX, and go back to bed.

K8PG and N3FZ like this.
  4. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

There is not many advantages to having sleep problems... but being awake at night to work DX is one of them! :)

Sometimes my actual issue is being awake during the DAY to work 'normal' daytime DX.... :p

WZ7U likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last time I forcibly got myself up for some wee hour DXing I suffered for 2-3 days :)

W1BR likes this.
  6. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I could. Daughter's room is on the same floor as my shack and she b!tches if I'm on at night. Even headphones and a straight key aren't good enough for her. Will this kid never move out?

PU2OZT likes this.
  7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

If it’s so pro forma, why bother?

8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Turns out it is a very useful skill for rose exhibiting. I can get up at 3AM and make a three hour drive to a rose show and know exactly how my body will function in the wee hours of the morning.

It has allowed me to accumulate over 2400 DXCC Challenge points with a modest station. As well as 300 countries on both CW and SSB.

Zak W1VT

N8RKD likes this.
  9. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Zak, I would think you and that call would automatically generate a pileup.

10. NI0C

NI0C Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Since I got a dog (11 month old puppy now), I never miss a sunrise!

N0RU likes this.