How do you manage late night DXing activities?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W7UUU, Oct 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just curious how others manage working late night DX? Where I live, a lot of the really "hard to get" stations appear in the middle of the night - 1:00 to 4:00 local time.

Do you stay up really late and just endure being really zonked out tired?

Do you go to bed really early, then get up at say, midnight, and play radio on into the wee hours?

Or just catch what you can when you can?

Curious how other folks manage the "late night DX" time - 160/80/40/30 bands mostly....

Dave
    W7UUU

W8VTN, WG7X and KC4RCR like this.
  2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave,

I've been fairly successful (by my definition) in getting up early, say about 0400 and getting on the low end of 80 meters. we usually wake up early here anyway. Some limited success with eighty around local sunset too. East in the evening, west or far east in the morning. This is only for 80 meters.

Forty is a bit different in that it offers more opportunities around the clock. But generally it follows the 80 meter band in behavior.

What little time I've spent on 30 showed me that it was better, at least for me, during the day.

Also not too much 160 meter activity here, but what little I've done has always been at night.

I'm not a night owl, but if I did not have to get up every morning to go to work, I might become one!

N2EY likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Gotcha....

Last night I left the rig on receive on "The Mode That Shall Not Be Mentioned" and this morning saw in the decode side of the software a ton of great DX in the wee hours: Antarctica (called CQ over and over, contact after contact all over the US), Mongolia, and a number of the more rare Asian entities. But they were all from 1:00 to 4:00 local... I'd have loved to be up to get 'em in the log but alas, I was busy sawing a log :D

I have discovered the fun of working 80 in the couple hours before dawn lately - picked up Laos on Tuesday - that was fun!

Dave
    W7UUU

WG7X likes this.
  4. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW! That fellow that posts here was probably the one that you worked?

I will have to start back on 80 in the mornings, starting tomorrow! I have been less active on eighty because of the summer doldrums... October is the start of DX and contest season. Put in a couple hundred "Q's" over the CQ WW RTTY last weekend. Really had fun.
    Gonna do the "leave the Mode that shall not be mentioned thing" running tonight!

5. W7UUU

Yes - Simon XW0LF (he is also XZ2A).

The endless FLOOD of stations from Japan at that time of day on 80... wow! Wall to wall JA stations, and more and more, BG stations from China

My new 80 Vee (apex 60 feet) is doing really well. I cut it for 3825 center and have one set of "clip on leads" that drops the center to 3600 and another that drops the center to 3540 ... that way I can cover the entire band without using a tuner (much) I couldn't care less what happens above 3900 so didn't cut it that high in the first place.

But back to the "wee hours" - I'm really looking forward to the 160 CW events this winter and trying the new Marconi-T that's pretty well dialed in now. Again though, most of the "attainable DX" for me will be in hours from 1:00 to 5:00 local

Dave
    W7UUU

WG7X likes this.
  6. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw you on 17 a few nights this week on 17 on the "mode that shall not be named" :)

For me it kind of depends..

If there is a dxpedition that is a new one for me.. I'm prepared to be up at all hours / any hours and if that means they are most workable at 3am local time.. then I'm there. Lots of caffeine gets me through the rest of the day. "ATNO's" take priority on my radio time.. although at 317 current entities confirmed... ATNO's don't come along as much.

Other expeditions where I need band fills and what not.. I'll sometimes get up at the odd hour to work the DX. I find sometimes depending on where the propagation is open... in the middle of the night it can be less 'crowded' and easier to work the dx.

In 160/80 season I'll sometimes get up / wake up in the middle of the night, hit up vnc viewer on the phone and remote into the pc to see what's coming in on "the mode that shall not be named" or I'll check the clusters.. if something interesting is on, I'll hop out of bed and investigate. Like you've observed... a lot of interesting things are on the air at those hours - especially on 160/80/40/30.

It comes and goes.. there's times I'm checking things for weeks straight.. and then there's times I barely check as I'm busy with other things or simply want the rest at night!

W7UUU likes this.
  7. XZ2A

XZ2A Ham Member QRZ Page

Lucky for me, DX from NA comes in during my local evening or early morning (5-8am), so no all-night DXing (I leave my rig on all night with JTAlert running, just in case something interesting pops up).

As for 80m, now that is consigned to the bin here in Laos until the authorities allow 80m use again (it ended on 30 September). However, I spent all morning swinging like a monkey in the large mango tree that supported my 80m quarter wave vertical. My 80m antenna is now about 10 metres longer and resonant on 160 with a centre-loading coil (the online calculators for required inductance and then coil diameter, number of turns etc was spot on! ) I'll monitor top band all night tonight and see what turns up :)

8. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

By accident! The other early morning, I awoke flat out and assumed it was somewhere around 5:00am. Turned the radio on 80m and found XW0LP CQ'ing. Made a Q for a new band counter, then checked the local time and learned that it was 3:30am. Thank you Simon!

Oh boy - back to bed ...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    WD4ELG likes this.
  9. W7UUU

Did you get him in the log? Maybe be the last time to get Laos on 80 meters for some time to come!!

Dave
    W7UUU

10. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, confirmed in LoTW.

W7UUU likes this.