ad: vanity

How do you log your contacts?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by W6GQ, Nov 17, 2008.

?

How do you log your amateur radio contacts?

1. Paper

90 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. Electronic

152 vote(s)
    58.2%
  3. I keep them in my noggin!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I do not keep a log

15 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. W6GQ forgot one (LIST BELOW)

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

DXKeeper for normal logging.

N1MM for contests. Contest logs copied to DXKeeper immediately after contest (export/import ADIF).

DXKeeper logs uploaded to LoTW and eQSL frequently (immediately after contests).

2. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Multiple

I use both paper and electronic. Back up electronic to a stick every week.

LOTW too, so that makes three.

Willkommen bei der Online-Hilfe von Armap32.

3. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

wire antennas

I have two wire antennas and a 100 watts so I don't have that many contacts, its still the old paper pad for me! Someday, should the sunspots come back I may try and get one of the logging programs to work on my computer. :rolleyes: That's assuming the improved propagation will increase my contact numbers.

Frank:)

4. KE7MH

KE7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Can I ask as a new person, is there a reason for using multiple logging software, especially one for contests? Isn't there a single software program that would work for all logging, including contests? Just wondering because I'm trying to decide which software I want to get myself.

5. N9ZMO

N9ZMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Both the XYL and myself use Logger32 and a paper log as a secondary backup. The Logger32 file is also backed up.

~Kurt

6. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using Logger32 since first licensed in 2003. Periodically I will print off the log to have a hard copy. When that copy is replaced, it is reused to copy code on the back side.

For contests I use CTWin. I convert the CT .bin file to an .adi and then import that into Logger32.

I have been looking as a Linux based solution for contesting and general logging as I am using that O/S more and more these days. One program is CQRLog for general logging and for contests there is TLF.

-Steve, WM3O

7. WS2L

WS2L Guest

I have been logging my contacts the exact same way and the exact same format as I have for the past 30 years ........ Paper Log's.

I have tried going electronic but I just don't trust it. So in my shack I have a pile of paper logs giving every detail of my stations and their modifications going back to March 1978.

8. KI4TWB

KI4TWB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a fairly new ham and an old-time (pre-DOS) computer guy and I log using paper. Gives me a place to make notes about antennas and any ideas I get while chatting and it's easy to work with.

I still write letters on paper and put them into envelopes and mail them, too! :eek:

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

computerlog nightmare

I have to agree, due to the fragility of hard drives, that I have had crash with all my database for SKCC and FISTS contacts, losing thousands of QSOs and dozens of hours of typing :eek:!!!, I continue to use paper logbooks.
    Lately I hve been using those big, thick spiral notebooks I get from WalMart or K-Mart. I think they have about 300 pages and are good for 2 or 3 years of my QSOs.
    I still have My old Ameco logbook from my novice months of 1961 ...
    I have just too many miles of logbook entries to convert to any kind of computer logging now .:D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  10. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer paper logs. Having paper makes them feel a little more permanent. It would take some sort of catastrophic failure (fire, flood, locusts, etc) to damage/destroy them and it's not something that I would lose. As software, hardward will change over the course of my lifetime.. will logging software work today on computers 20 years from now? It's hard to say. Will I have that data in 25 years or will it be lost somewhere on a disk, CD, memory stick, etc? My log books from 20 years ago are sitting on the shelf. I can still flip through them and look at them any time I want. It's fun to read my notes on some of my 'firsts' - first qso using a particular radio, or a certain mode, etc. I use the same type log book as I've been using over the years - the ARRL log book. And this should come to no surprise - I only use paper QSL's. I love to hold the card in my hand, and it's always a crowd pleaser to see a card from an exotic place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.