ad: elecraft

How Do you know what contests are happening?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KE0RAG, Mar 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE1EPB

VE1EPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks 73

K3XR likes this.
  2. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but you are encouraged to submit a log even if it is for only a few (or one) QSO. You don’t have to, but it may help the ops you worked. I believe some contest rules will discard a QSO with a callsign that no one else has worked unless the call in question has the same QSO in their log.

VE1EPB likes this.
  3. OH1BOR

OH1BOR Ham Member QRZ Page

You better don't. Some contest rules give penalty points for unmatched contacts.
    So if the serious contester uploads a log with your contact in it and the organisers can't find your log confirming the qso then the other guy loses points.

VE1EPB likes this.
  4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the best contest calendar out there.
    https://www.contestcalendar.com/

5. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Not seen any to penalize for casual contacts. If both submit a log and only one confirms, that is a problem however.

6. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wrong, wrong and WRONG!!

I'm not aware of any contest in which there's a penalty for a contact for which there is not a LOG (entry) from that station.

That is, a contest in which the only valid contacts are for stations that "enter" the contest by submitting a log.

There CAN be a penalty for claiming a contact with a "unique" call sign -- that is, a call that shows up in only ONE entry log because that may be a call sign that was not copied correctly ("busted"). So for non-participants it's advisable to make at least two (better yet, a half dozen or more) contacts so that call won't be tagged as "unique".

Serious contest operators (like me) welcome ALL contacts, whether from other operators who are "in" the contest, or "casual" operators just dropping in to make a few contacts but not submitting a log.

They're ALL worth points -- sometimes even multipliers! ;)

W1TRY and WJ4U like this.
  7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Normally when I can't rag chew with my buddies on our daily schedule because of QRM, I know there's a contest on!!!

8. OH1BOR

OH1BOR Ham Member QRZ Page

You not being aware of something doesn't make other's statement invalid. You should check the opponent's claim first before proving your ignorance.
    And here my proof, rule number 12: http://lea.hamradio.si/~scc/euhf/euhfcrules.htm

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I use http://www.hornucopia.com/, the original site that links to the calendar AND the 3830 Score Posting Forms. Since I use both, it makes sense to bookmark ONE site. :)

The WA7BNM Contest Calendar:

• lists seemingly all contests, no matter the sponsor
    • lists a contest's nitty-gritty in a consistent format

10. NB3R

NB3R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

11. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Note that BOTH of the above contests are listed on the WA7BNM Contest Calendar in the same format. I used the 12 Month Calendar (http://www.contestcalendar.com/contestcal.html) to find...

12. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't access that link because my malware-protection flags it as unsafe.
    Perhaps you can tell us what it says.

Please note again, my post said "I am not aware of...." so, indeed, there may be some contest(s) with which I'm not familiar that requires only contacts with participants (those that submit a log). But it misleads the OP to tell him not to make contacts in contests unless he submits a log. None of the "majors" and most of the "minors" don't require that. ;)

K3XR likes this.
  13. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Also not aware of any contests that require all participants to submit a log. Begs the question...How does the station who is submitting a log know if the station they just worked is not submitting a log?

VE1EPB, W7DCM and KS2G like this.