How do you feel about competing in ham radio?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KA4EET, Jun 4, 2011.

?

How do you feel about competing in ham radio?

1. It means a lot to me. I am proud to have a great signal!

11.9%
  2. I feel OK about it. It is nice to get into rare dx or do well in a contest.

40.3%
  3. No difference to me. I am just a rag chewer and don’t need to compete.

22.4%
  4. Competing is stupid to me. With enough money, you can buy anything rig or antenna to be top dog.

25.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

"When winning becomes more important than the bond of friendship" Yeah thats about where I step off. It's a laugh, a lark, a hobby, a pastime thats all. I have put in a few calls to contests for fun but I'll not be going without washing, eating properly, or communicating with my family to rack up a good score anytime in my life. Take a look out the window - llife is for living get out there and live it.

I would say there are contests and there are CONTESTS. The fun ones could be....fun.

2. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Number 4 on the pole is wrong as the money part can be, the number one thing it takes to win contest's or that rare DX is operator SKILL!

3. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The whole poll seems cockeyed to me. "I am just a rag chewers and don't need to compete?" Ever hear those guys on 75m? They are inveterate rag chewers and they compete mightily on signal quality.

The quality of a poll is determined by how well thought out the options are. Surprisingly few polls are either unbiased or well thought out.

4. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Skill, yes. Along with the legal limit, multiple antennas on big towers doesn't hurt either. Plus being in an area that is short on QRN.

Oh and don't forget having the time to operate the contests for 24 hours straight. Which means no time for family or other hobbies.

Which is fine by me if that is what radio means to those who contest. I have nothing against contests or those who operate in them.

It's just not my thing. I will give someone a contact if I cruise by them calling CQ. No problem there.

For me radio is just doing some rag chewing whether it be on SSB or digital. I will never have a 70 foot tower with big yagis on it at my present QTH.

Years ago I did compete in the ARRL RTTY Roundup and did quite well for myself in Ontario. Now I would rather go golfing :D

5. G4OTU

G4OTU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have done my share of contesting back in the 80/90s (and won a few) but now I take a more relaxed approach.

However, human nature being what it is , I am always glad to get through a pile-up in minimum time , or to be the centre of attention if using a special call such as our recent GR prefix.... and so on.

Right now I am working my way through the DXCC lists for a second time ...competing against myself in effect.

Really whatever turns you on is good - if you aren't enjoying it , go and do something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.