How do you feel about competing in ham radio?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KA4EET, Jun 4, 2011.

?

How do you feel about competing in ham radio?

1. It means a lot to me. I am proud to have a great signal!

11.9%
  2. I feel OK about it. It is nice to get into rare dx or do well in a contest.

40.3%
  3. No difference to me. I am just a rag chewer and don’t need to compete.

22.4%
  4. Competing is stupid to me. With enough money, you can buy anything rig or antenna to be top dog.

25.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Contesting and DXing will teach you more about the hobby, all aspects to improve your station with whatever you have to work with.

Operating skill's, antennas, receivers, feed lines, modes and just plain fun trying to work the really weak ones. Each to his own I agree but if you want to improve you station this is the way to do it and wring the very last db out of your station.

2. W7HTA

W7HTA Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't feel the need to try to compete with anybody. Amateur radio is something I do for a hobby because I enjoy it. I don't feel the need to make it
    into another source of stress by trying to compete with everyone else out there. I have fun with my modest station and I've been able to work a fair
    amount of DX without being the loudest station in the pileup.

73, Henry

3. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Competition is fun. It is one of many values in amateur radio. I think it becomes a problem when it becomes a ham's #1 priority. It certainly comes after camaraderie and fellowship for me. I've seen this in other avocations like mountaineering and sailboat racing. When winning becomes more important than the bond of friendship developed by these pursuits, bad things happen.

That, and as I pointed out before, there is nothing inherently competitive about wanting to put out a strong, clean signal

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I keep my signal clean by transmitting through a bottle of Pine Sol.

It smells nice, too.

5. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

For me, the absolute worst part of contests is how they clearly show how few hams actually get on the air. Listen to any band during any contest and you'll here lots and lots and lots of stations out there. For example, last SS I listened on 40 about 10 PM and heard stations from all parts of the country (I was in the Catskills). Heard California and Washington, the midwest, down south and even NE stations.

On a typical day or night, the band is wide open spaces. You might find a round table or two or a net or two...but people operating just because it's fun to play radio? You can call til you're blue in the face to find them, usually.

So I guess I'm actually pretty positive towards avid contesters. Thanks for demonstrating that the "closed" bands are only "closed" because nobody's using them.

6. W1GUH

Ah....and that even comes through the papa system's reapeaters!!! Was wondering why I smelled Pine Sol when we worked!!!

There's the other side of the coin...something I heard recently. That's the operators who use their full-war-mode hardware for ragchewing. You know the type -- a bajillion db of compression where you can hear everything going on in their shack, including the blower in their rock-crusher amp. Yikes!!! And this was a simple, friendly rag chew. Maybe he doesn't know how to turn off those war-mode measures?

7. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh boy, AMEN! It takes all my will power to follow my own edict to never criticize another station's signal when I hear that. I know what sounds good is subjective but, man, that harsh sound is hard on the ears! I go QRT all the time when I hear the people you mention Paul.

8. W1GUH

I hear THAT! Mercifully, relief is but a dial twist away!

9. M0TNC

M0TNC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've not tried contesting yet but I doubt it's my cup of tea, I generally find that when people start to get competitive about things the fun just drains right out and what was a nice hobby ends up becoming a drag. I do have a competitive side but that comes out more at work than anything and as much as I do enjoy my work it's a serious work environment but a hobby for me is a way to relax so the last thing I want is someone snarking at me for not having done this or that or not being as a 'competitive' as them.

That said, there's nothing wrong with good natured competition and I imagine hams in particular fall largely into that bracket, I just don't see the enjoyment in it. On top of that, a competitive environment makes you feel compelled to do something in order to compete and I've got this constant unavoidable urge not to do what anyone wants me to do (I get it from my dad) so I'm more likely to walk away.

10. W1GUH

Contests are very useful in finding out how well you're getting out, and I don't mean that in a competitive sense. During a contest you'll get to attempt working far more stations from more places than is possible during non-contest times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.