How do you feel about competing in ham radio?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KA4EET, Jun 4, 2011.

?

How do you feel about competing in ham radio?

1. It means a lot to me. I am proud to have a great signal!

11.9%
  2. I feel OK about it. It is nice to get into rare dx or do well in a contest.

40.3%
  3. No difference to me. I am just a rag chewer and don’t need to compete.

22.4%
  4. Competing is stupid to me. With enough money, you can buy anything rig or antenna to be top dog.

25.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4EET

KA4EET Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you feel about getting through that pile-up, making good gains in a contest, or having the best signal in your round table group?

2. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t contest in fact I despise contest. :rolleyes: I only Rag Chew and enjoy that part of ham radio.:D
    If you are a contester then that is your thing and that’s ok. But it’s not stupid. :D
    There is some truth to the last question money wise, but that would be true with any hobby. :eek:

3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OK... Why would anyone "despise" another activity on the air?

That seems a little extreme to say the least?

It's a troll post for sure, that's certain, sure to bring out the extremists.

Let's see where this one goes, OK?

My vote is into the round file ASAP.

73 Gary

4. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't care about contests, but I have no problem at all with those who do. If that's what you like, go for it. I have a bandswitch and VFO, and I'm not wedded to one band or one mode. Have fun! 73

5. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not heavily into contesting or DXing, but I do enjoy both on a rather leisurely level.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's the only important thing.

Okay, only kidding.

But to me this is kind of like having or being the best at anything. Who doesn't want to be the fastest runner, or the best artist, or the guy with the highest free throw percentage, or whatever?

I'd think the competitive nature in all of us is great. Some don't want to "compete" in ham radio, and that's fine, but they might want to compete in something else. Some just want to be the best father or husband, or best salesman, or teacher, or stock broker or best whatever. It's all good.

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

;)
    I like it all. I guess that puts me in with the most hated and most liked... at the same time. I'm sooo confused! ;)

How about a poll to guess how long it takes? ;)

Yep. I've never known anyone who entered a contest, hoping to NOT come in first. That's why I'll be taking down the A3S at 30' and putting up the C-4XL at 72'... instead of the other way around.

8. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I always strive to improve my station both for QRO and QRP DX so I feel OK about it.

9. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think this poll suffers for the illusion the competing = good signal quality. What about those of us that want to put out a good, clean, readable signal that propagates well just for our own sake?

10. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

The trouble with this is two-fold.

You can make a competition out of anything if you want to, but some things, like being a teacher or a parent, or a compassionate, ethical human being, are not inherently competitive. You parent your children because it's important, not to win recognition. We teach because it's important to pass on the knowledge and skills, not to win teacher of the year. Most people who play music do it for the music, not to get famous doing it.

Who defines who you are or the quality of your life, yourself or everyone else? If you let those around you do all the defining, you're life will be pretty pathetic IMHO. 73

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.