How do I...

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4CQB, Jun 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN4CQB

KN4CQB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When working a station, often another station comes on the same frequency. (yes, really). How do I let the contact I am working know there is another station, and that I can no longer make out what he is saying? I don't want to just "go away", but my skills are not enough to pick out, or even still hear, my original contact.

KD2RDG and K1LKP like this.
  2. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's why CW is great and why we have standard procedures---Some of our fellow hams start a recitation of their life story along
    with "QSB COULD NOT COPY MISSED SOME OF....UR LIFE STORY>>>>"

Just:

"QRM QRM QSY QSY UP2 UP2 DE KN4CQB"

Move 2 (or 3 or 4, wherever it seems fairly clear) kHz
    Done in a flash!

Good operators are concise, cut it to the essentials, and efficient. It's legal, sharp operating practice (why struggle when it's obvious
    it's not working) and it's perfectly polite.

Great question. If someone asks a question, that means there's 20 more out there thinking the same thing but hesitant to ask.

GL & 73!

K1GC, WN1MB, US7IGN and 6 others like this.
  3. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

RICH,

HARRY - WA1GXC HIT THE NAIL SQUARELY ON THE HEAD.

I WAS HAPPY TO READ YOU ARE INVOLVED WID THE CW OPS ACADEMY... BRAVO...

GOOD MOVE...... CW 4 EVER

BE AWARE OF THE

LEAKY DUMMY LOADS

LEAKY DUMMY LOAD.jpg

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE CW BANDS.

LIKE I LUV CW & CFO.jpg

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/may-2021-membership-to-the-cfo-club.766711/

73 - K1LKP

PU2OZT, W9JEF and WA1GXC like this.
  4. KD2RDG

KD2RDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Good advice so far.

A possible technological fix: make sure you are using your radio's filters as necessary. Sometimes the QRM station is not exactly on your frequency but you will hear them if you're listening to a very wide window of frequencies. A narrow filter like 300 hz can really help.

WN1MB and US7IGN like this.
  5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes filters and IF shift sure can clean up a lot of not quite on freq QRM.

KD2RDG likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. And if your rig has a CW-R function available, that can help a great deal, also.

“Most” (hopefully) stations jumping on a frequency to call someone or call CQ first send “QRL?” If you hear that, immediately reply (even though your contact is still sending, so you will transmit while he is) with “QRL.” The first QRL as a question means “is this frequency busy” and your reply without a question mark means “yes, the frequency is busy” and with any luck that will prevent the new station from sending anything else on that frequency at that time.

Some CW ops don’t follow this protocol, but really everyone should and I think the majority of experienced ops will.

To advise your contact you couldn’t copy due to interference, use common abbreviations and Q signals and keep that short. QRM OM SRI PLS AGN or something similar gets the message across without wasting much time. The suggestion to QSY UP2 or whatever is a fine idea, but it’s best to check “up 2” first to see if that is clear. Up 3 or 4 or 5, or Down 2 or 3 (or whatever) might be better.

WN1MB, US7IGN and WB5YUZ like this.
  7. N3FZ

N3FZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m still trying to work out how to ask someone to stop slurring their letters and words. IcantstandnospacingwithcwitdrivesmenutsandIfylufeglingtodoiTleasrspellurwerdsrite.

It’s so funny, these ops can slur at 20 wpm just as they do at 30 wpm. Can I get a Dit spacing between characters and a Dah space between words folks?!?

Bryan, N3FZ

US7IGN likes this.
  8. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A heads up to all the folks just learning Morse with paddles.

Just because you are using paddles doesn't mean you can't benefit from sending into a decoder to check your sending. If you get incorrect characters or missing inter-word spacing, you aren't doing it right.

WB5YUZ, KI4ZUQ, M6GYU and 1 other person like this.
  9. N3FZ

N3FZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

SRI OM RUFF CPI PSE QRS

Yes, of course, QRS means "slow down," not "please pay more attention to your spacing." However, in my experience, most hams will typically also start paying more attention to their spacing and character weight when they are asked to slow down. In fact, I suspect that in many (most?) cases their spacing has deteriorated in the first place because they are sending a bit faster than they should be.

However, it should also be pointed out that experienced ops generally have less trouble getting meaning with improper spacing. This is because when you are doing head copy, you can more easily get meaning from context. When I first run into someone using very little spacing, it's gibberish, but then I catch a word or two, and then I start to get context, and then usually I can follow them until fading or QRM causes me to miss something, when I lose context and it degenerates into gibberish again and I start the process over. When I am working the op in question, if necessary I will use AA or AB as necessary to get him to send fills when this happens.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    W5BIB likes this.