How do I zero beat my FT-757GX?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by WA2EHV, Oct 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA2EHV

WA2EHV Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear Friends,
    I'm running an FT-757GX. I operate CW only. I'm never sure how to zero beat an incoming signal. Should I match the pitch of the incoming signal to my sidetone pitch? (easy for me, I'm a music teacher) or center the incoming signal for the strongest reading inside my narrow CW filter? I've been guessing all this time but I'd like to be sure. TNX es 73, Greg WA2EHV

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Generally you woud tune to the pitch of your cw offset... in the case of kenwood ts440 as an example, you would tune to 800 hz pitch which is around a G5. Your 757 may use a different pitch, but thats the way to zero on cw...

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

If your sidetone is the same pitch as the cw offset, then yes, and this should coincide with the strongest signal.

4. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the key issue. I'm not familiar with the 757, but a quick look through the manual didn't give any info. That can vary quite a bit, but based on the vintage of that rig, I would think both the offset and sidetone pitch are fixed. If that's the case, just match the received signal to the sidetone pitch and you're good to go.

To give an example of different rigs, on my IC-7100 the sidetone follows the offset (adjustable). On my TS-50, the offset is adjustable, but the sidetone is fixed at 800 Hz (a real PITA unless your offset is set to 800). On my TS-130, both are fixed at 800.

The problem arises when I use an outboard audio filter with the Kenwoods. The offset/pitch is 800 Hz, but the center of the filter is about 675....... In that case, I tune the incoming signal to the proper pitch before I engage the filter. Then I switch in the filter and use the rig's RIT to peak the signal through the filter.

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Read the Manual !