ad: GNOHF-1

How do I wire a toggle switch for an HF amplifier power supply ?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KC5SCK, Jun 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KC5SCK

KC5SCK Ham Member QRZ Page

If anyone knows please let me know?

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hot line from fuse in to one side. Line out to load.

3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Knowing just what kind of amplifier, power rating etc might yield better results to your question.

If asking this basic a question, I would only add that you should use real caution in modifying your gear and ensure the switch is rated at or greater for the current to be carried.

Good luck.

KU3X and WG7X like this.
  4. KC5SCK

KC5SCK Ham Member QRZ Page

thank you

5. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

How about some info on what amplifier and what you want to accomplish or are you just replacing a failed switch?
    Good luck.

6. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay scary... amplifier power supplies can carry LETHAL voltages, not just the line voltage that can hurt(and kill but rare) but the high voltage that can blow fingers off, stop your heart... If you are not sure get help from someone local who knows electronics.

7. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have to ask this basic question, you really should not put your hands in any electronic gear with voltages over 115 volts !

Barry

AJ4GQ and VE3TMT like this.
  8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

You might have the answer you're looking for as this a a generic answer to a generic question. You need to provide more information to get the correct answer.

If this a 120VAC amp? 240VAC? 12VDC? 60VDC? Tubes? Solid state? Give us a picture (make/model) of what you're working with. Or an actual picture!

There are tube HF amps out there that have a separate power supply and a High Voltage wire/line to connect them, allowing you to keep the heavy power supply under a desk, for example. Trying to add a "toggle switch" on this line and you could end up with a spark/light show at a minimum, with getting yourself killed a distinct possibility.

9. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I kind of think that if someone has to ASK such a basic question, they shouldn't really be trying to do it !

My first question back is WHAT exactly are you wanting to switch on the Amplifier?

The mains feed TO the power supply?

Or one of the supply voltages OUT of it?

Is it a Valve and therefore High Voltage Amplifier?

Or is it a Transistor and therefore low voltage Amp?

Roger G3YRO

G3ZBP, KA9UCN, KC8VWM and 1 other person like this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A Fuse is your friend.

I use a lot of friends. :oops:

AA7QQ likes this.