How Do I start to log and get WAS/WAC or DXCC?

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by WB1FDW, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB1FDW

WB1FDW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello
    Just wanted to know the best way to log my contacts and start on my way to the various awards like WAS and WAC/DXCC etc...

I just got my station up and running finally after many years.

Tnx for any help and or links .

73's and God's best in the new year to come,

WB1FDW
    David

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

First, you need a logbook. Some prefer the paper kind, some prefer the computer kind. I like the computer kind because I can easily search it and keep tract of awards, etc. I use Ham Radio Deluxe, which is my personal favorite. There are many others, so you might have to compare features and see which one has what you want. Some are basic loggers, some are designed to control your entire shack - radio and rotors as well.

For simple awards like WAS and DXCC, uploading to the ARRLs Log book of the world (LoTW) will keep tract of your contacts and award status.

.................Bob

3. WB1FDW

Bob,
    Great and Thank you - I'll look at these options you suggested.
    73's
    David

4. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many options, I'm with Bob, I like HRD, I think there are others just as good, but I got started with HRD and it works for me. Keeps track of bunch of awards and the next major release of HRD is targeted to have even better award tracking. Be sure to get a LOTW account for award tracking.

5. WB1FDW

Leroy,
    Thank you. I'll get the LoTW set up and then get the HRD and start logging!
    I really loved the myQSL Map that Bob (see above thread) had - I never knew that existed. Great way to see your contacts and what band on a world map!
    73's and Happy New Year to you and your family!
    David
    WB1FDW

6. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello David;
    Reading your QRZ page, I love the pix on your tower and antenna! You are going to need a big log!

The logging tools are amazing in what they can show. Rig control is another great feature in these logging programs.

Happy New Year
    Leroy

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Kudos on the tower and antenna project David! Very nice. I wish I could have a big tower
    here and all that - but it's out of my skills range.

For logging, I now use N3FJP Amateur Contact Log 3.3 - it's very simple but it's all I need, at
    least at this time. Easy lookup of dupes or previous QSOs, direct LoTW interface and export
    of ADIF for eQSL and other needs. Does NOT however export in Cabrillo format for contesting,
    so it's not a "contesting log" like HRD or N1MM software. I use N1MM for contesting, and find
    HRD just has a zillion more widgets than I'll ever need.

Play around with the various programs - most are free or cheap, and have trial versions - there's
    LOTS of logging programs to choose from. I used to use a simple spread sheet - that worked for
    many years - before that just paper logs.

Dave
    W7UUU

8. WB1FDW

Dave,
    Thanks for your info on the logs stuff.
    Yup, the tower was a gift from a local ham - it went down in a hurricane years ago.
    He wanted someone to -resurrect it- and use it, so I did - bought 1 new section (Rohm BX)
    and over the years got the tower up.

Lots of little things to do - mostly machining (glad Dad taught me - he's a retired tool and die maker)
    So finally, this summer we started and by the week before Christmas (twas the night before Christmas...)
    the tower and inside cables/connectors were all done.

NOw to arrange the shack !

ANyhow, I loved your website and photos of the old rigs. It was a real inspiration to me.
    I did a lot of similar things as you did over the years - we'll have to chat sometime.

I'll dig up my old ham shack photos - that is a great idea! I may post a few on QRZ.com when I find them.

73's and God BLess you and your family in 2013 - Happy New Year belated, and thanks again for the tips on the logs.

David
    WB1FDW

9. WB1FDW

Hi Leroy,
    Got busy and still trying to get the various log books set up.
    I have noticed a log on my web page thru ARRL. Some hams have 'signed' it - that's how I found it one day.

How do I set up an account? Is the LOTW the same as the ARRL QRZ.com log? The reason I ask is that
    I read some posts and got confused where someone uploaded from HRD to the ARRL log and claimed duplicates popped up.

I just want to log (using ? LOTW) so I can track my progress to some awards.
    HRD seems fine for me and looks like I'll use the HRD when I get the PC set up in the shack. I 'm re-organizing the shack little by little.

I don't do any contesting so I wouldn't need the high end logs for contesting.

Thanks again for your help.
    If you would please send me a link and explain the difference between LOTW and the ARRL QRZ.com log I would be MOST THANKFUL !!

73s
    David
    WB1FDW

10. AE7KL

AE7KL Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL's award logging site is called Logbook of the World, or LOTW.
    QRZ.com has a logbook function but is primarily used to look up call signs. Web-use is free--programmatic interface is an annual subscription.
    The other major website that does award logging is eQSL.com.

In my experience, LOTW has a heavy focus on North American hams. I get much better international response on eQSL.com. Both offer their own independent awards: so, you can have WAS from both ARRL and from eQSL.
    I believe most hams would consider LOTW more "rigorous" as it is a double-blind log while with eQSL you can view incoming logs that don't match your logs. To me, this is very useful as it helps me to match up mistakes (e.g., I logged the wrong band or mode).

ARRL - you can "get" their awards only if you're a member of ARRL and then they are fairly expensive but they send you a printed cert. Standard logging on the site is free but a little complex to set up, initially.
    eQSL - you can "get" their awards only if you're a member of the site (annual subscription) and then their paper certs are free (you print them); their plaque certificates are quite expensive, if you want them. Use of the site otherwise is free.

Both ARRL and eQSL now have an electronic "interface" to the CQ Prefix award. eQSL has a few other interfaces to other award sites I am personally unfamiliar with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.